2017-2018 Graduate Engineering Leadership Development Program Position locations: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal Are you a trailblazer who can visualize and build solutions that transcend the capabilities of off-the-shelf platforms? Do you want the opportunity to work alongside the best minds in the industry and be a key leader in the evolution towards software-defined security, networking and services? Are you ready to take on the challenge? Then join the Graduate Engineering Leadership Program (GELP). This specialized technical development program at TELUS® focuses on technology and innovation. Through a series of rotations and projects, the GELP exposes new graduates to a breadth of job functions to build the technical skills and abilities for the future technology needs of one of Canada's premier employers. What will you do?
This growth platform for high achieving recent graduates in engineering or computer science allows you to explore different technical areas and step outside your comfort zone. Discover, build, grow and play while contributing to the evolution of TELUS' Future Friendly products and services focused on our customer's needs. This multi-year program allows you to explore various roles in technology focused business units through three 9-month rotations.
Engineering graduates who choose to pursue a P.Eng. will be supported in this endeavor, gaining relevant work experience towards their designation. We provide on-the-job training and in-house courses to prepare you for complex and challenging assignments, as well as providing access to hackathons and industry experts for exposure and development in future-focused innovation.
Rotation assignments are based on strategic business needs, strengths and areas of skill development and growth.
The areas you can explore include:
• Designing and implementing our next generation wireless networks - macro, in-building, WiFi - that includes learning wireless IP Access design, wireless core network design, data analytics, software development and operations (DevOps), as well as future technologies such as Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) as it relates to wireless technology. (Stream: Mobile Broadband Network Engineering) Qualifications: QUALIFICATIONS Education & Experience
• Designing and implementing our next generation wireline networks, including Optical and IP network design and deployment, software DevOps and the design and implementation of SDN and NFV using technologies such as OpenStack. (Stream: Fixed Broadband Network Engineering)
• Researching, developing and implementing some of the most pioneering digital security and privacy solutions to protect Canadians and businesses from the full spectrum of online threats with TELUS'. Skills developed include cybersecurity and threat assessment, software DevOps and Security Product development. (Stream: Security)
• Designing and developing the next generation of customer friendly services and solutions to maximize our network capabilities. Working in collaboration with our business teams and technology implementation teams, skills developed include product development and implementation, software DevOps and application of virtualization in creating and extending TELUS' operating and business support systems, as well as the development and deployment of advanced IP TV technologies in support of our OptikTV services, and next generation messaging and voice services. (Stream: Technology Development)
• Developing and implementing future friendly strategies in advancing our world-leading network and data centre infrastructure systems to continue to be the most power- and resource-efficient in the world. (Stream: Mission Critical Environments)
• Class of 2017/2018 or recent grads - Bachelor's or Master's degree in computer science or engineering specializing in telecommunications, wireless communications, internetworking, or security (Master's is considered an asset) Required Skills and Abilities YOU
• Work experience is an asset
• Relevant industry experience is highly desirable
• Software development skills and experience are highly desirable
• Are passionate about learning, new technologies, and telecommunications
• Have a deep sense of commitment towards making a difference for customers
• Demonstrate leadership in the way you approach your work, as shown through your academic, volunteer/community or extracurricular activities
• Possess strong interpersonal and communication capabilities
• Are collaborative and skilled at relationship building
• Have Highly-developed analytical and problem-solving skills
• Are self-motivated and have a strong sense of personal initiative and ownership
• Are creative and innovative in your thinking
• Can see "the big picture" while also being detailed oriented
• Thrive in a high-performing, fast-paced, large and sometimes ambiguous environment Who is TELUS?
We're a high-performing team of individuals who collectively make TELUS one of the leading telecommunications companies in Canada. Our competitive consumer offerings include wireline, wireless, internet and Optik TV™. We also deliver a compelling range of products and services for small, medium and large businesses; and have carved out a leadership position in the health, energy, finance and public sector markets with innovative industry specific solutions.
The TELUS team is as diverse as the society we live in and the customers we serve. We're also passionate about creating success for our customers, our shareholders, our communities and our team. And we do so by living the TELUS values
and delivering on our Customers First commitments
Do you share our passion?
At TELUS, you create future friendly® possibilities.
At TELUS, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
Posted: February 15, 2018
Closes:March 18, 2018