Permanent Primary Location:
Calgary, Alberta, Canada All Available Locations:
External Posting Description
Deloitte's Value Creation Services (VCS) team offers its clients cross-functional advisory services when deadlines are often urgent. We help solve our client's most complex business and performance challenges, whether they be in thriving or distressed business transformation situations, or the cut-and-thrust environment of M&A . . . or in most cases, all of the above!
The VCS team works in many industries but has a particular focus on Consumer, Industrials, Energy and Natural Resources, Cannabis and Financial Services. You can read more about the industries supported here .
We focus on:
- Enterprise Profitability (EP) : Our EP Service identifies and implements opportunities that radically improve its client's EBITDA and cash flow. The service helps clients with rapid revenue and market growth initiatives; cost reduction; working capital optimization; and business model transitions, transformations and modernization.
- Pre-Deal Diligence (DD) : Our DD Service offers Operational, IT, Commercial and HR due diligence to help clients drive informed bids, frame out risk factors, uncover value potential through synergy reviews, and get a head start on post-merger integration planning.
- M&A Execution (MA) : Our MA Service works with clients pre- and post-signing to design, plan and execute merger and acquisition transition programs. Our work helps to maximize the deal value, minimize Day 1 disruption, accelerate and de-risk deal closing. This service also helps clients to determine their future state operating model by function and develop and implement the roadmap to close and beyond.
Long Description About the role and role expectations
As an Analyst or Senior Associate, you'll have the opportunity to work across the full range of VCS services. If you asked one of our current Analysts or Senior Associates about the types of things they've actually done over the past year, their answer would likely include:
- Developed their industry knowledge and technical and other abilities rapidly so that they became famous for what they do and so require minimum manager supervision;
- Worked on client engagement teams executing VCS advisory services, supporting key decision makers in developing and executing strategies for turnarounds and/or M&A transactions;
- Conducted detailed research and analysis of client, industry and market performance and developed practical strategies and action plans, including the supporting financial analysis, models and implementation plans;
- Assessed a client's state of M&A readiness with respect to people, resources, planning, data collection and strategy, while identifying significant-risks, issues, interdependences and opportunities for overall improvement;
- Assisted with the assessment and configuration of a client's target operating model, and the identification of its synergies and key value drivers;
- Delivered one or more aspects of hypothesis-driven broad and rapid EBITDA improvement. For example completing work on: market assessments, pricing studies, sales and marketing effectiveness, product and customer profitability, value analysis, supply chain, cost efficiency and organizational structure redesign and working capital management;
- Helped to drive Lean and Zero Based Budgeting projects for our clients;
- Supported the development and execution of post-merger integration plans while working to constantly identify items for improvement, including the resolution of integration issues;
- Consulted with client personnel and participate in client meetings and interviews;
- Prepared assigned sections of client reports and other deliverables, and occasionally participated in their presentation to client executives;
- Cultivated relationships with clients;
- Contributed to the Practice's sales, business development and marketing activities;
- Participated in the development and delivery of our training programs and services, business development and marketing activities;
- Employed a structured approach to project management to help ensure complete client satisfaction;
- Actively performed and promoted peer-reviews and other quality activities to continuously improve our quality and raise the performance bar;
- Embraced and lived our firm's purpose - to make an impact that matters - by pushing themselves and their colleagues to identify solutions to the challenges that are the most important for our clients, people, and society;
- Had and continue to have fun!
External Posting Qualifications
Successful candidates will generally have:
- An undergraduate University degree with outstanding academic credentials, and/or 1-2 years of work experience for Analysts, 2-5 years for Senior Associates;
- Preference will be given to candidates with a professional designation (CPA-CA/CMA, LSS Black Belt amongst others) and/or a Masters (including MBA).
Experience, skills and attributes
- Consulting or financial planning & analysis experience would be considered an asset;
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English and/or French;
- Understanding of and/or exposure to the M&A lifecycle at an operational level;
- Experience in or an understanding of significant organizational events (e.g. restructuring, business transformation or turnaround) and how clients typically respond to them by rapidly improving their revenues, reducing their costs and improving their working capital and business models.
- A demonstrated aptitude for quantitative and qualitative analysis, such as financial analysis or modeling, market research and analysis, project problem diagnosis & solution development;
- Ability to make detailed assessments of technology, operations or back office functions;
- Excellent problem solving, project management, change management, facilitation and interpersonal skills;
- Able to contribute to the production of high quality reports outlining key project issues, data analysis and recommendations through effective and visual PowerPoint reports (including logical structuring and storyboarding skills);
- An ability and the tenacity and resilience to deliver, on time, and to budget;
- Flexibility and adaptability regarding work assignments, including willingness to learn new skills, subject matter areas and industries and willingness and ability to travel.
Launch your career with The One Firm where you can make a greater impact than you ever thought possible. With endless opportunities at every turn, and a culture built to support and drive our people to be the very best they can be, Deloitte is The One Firm for you to learn, grow, create, and lead.
At Deloitte, we understand that everyone, and their career goals, are different. As a firm, we help create the conditions and opportunities that will enable our people to thrive - both professionally and personally. We do this by making three commitments to our people:
- You will lead at every level: We grow the world's best leaders so you can achieve the impact you seek, faster.
- You can work your way: We give you the means to work how you want, and we have innovative spaces and the mindset to help you be wildly successful.
- You will feel included and inspired: We create a deep sense of belonging where you can bring your whole self to work.
Apply now and let us show you how to push your career to the next level at Deloitte. The One Firm. For You.
Deloitte is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants' needs under the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted
Apply now × Apply for Job
Enter your email to apply
Posted: February 21, 2019
Closes: April 22, 2019