WSP has a new opportunity for a Biological Technician to join our Biophysical team on a seasonal basis based in Medicine Hat. The position will be an hourly contract starting the end of February and ending mid-November 2024, with the possibility of extension.
An overview of your role will include:
- Post-construction bird and bat mortality monitoring at operating wind power projects
- Leading wildlife post-construction monitoring surveys, baseline wildlife surveys, and other field- related tasks
- Working alone and within a team to conduct field work
- Participate in WSP and Client H&S programs and policies
You will have a background in:
- Ideally, a minimum of 2 years experience conducting migratory bird surveys and field experience with diligent observation skills
- Familiarity with prairie birds (i.e., songbirds, waterfowl, shorebirds, raptors)
- Experience with digital data collection, data management and equipment setup (e.g., bat detector deployment) is desired
- Attention to detail regarding data collection and documentation and Quality Assurance and Quality Control
- Willingness to participate in field work and handle bird and bat carcasses for species identification purposes
- Construction monitoring experience is an asset, but not necessary
- Effective communication skills, organizational skills and time management
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team-oriented
- Valid drivers license is required and First Aid is an asset
is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe it is expected that you comply with our Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) policy at all times as well as client HSE policies when working at client locations.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
Maintenance and Technicians