Building Energy Simulation Specialist: Harvey 2408
Our Company is currently seeking a self-motivated, hardworking Building Energy Simulation Specialist to join our Calgary or Edmonton Office.
The ideal candidate takes initiative, is interested in pursuing a career in engineering consulting, and is willing to take on responsibility as his/her experience progresses.
The incumbent will be a key member of our companies Energy Modelling Services and Sustainability Team, reporting to the Sustainability Team Leader.
The successful candidate will be responsible for applying advanced tools and techniques to the evaluation of energy performance in commercial, residential and institutional buildings.
Responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Develop representative simulation models of HVAC, lighting, and building envelope systems to accurately estimate energy consumption and demand in new and existing commercial, residential and institutional buildings
- Calculate energy consumption and demand savings associated with energy conservation measures for new and existing buildings
- Provide design feedback to architects and other project stakeholders
- Provide feedback to engineers on HVAC and lighting design and operation
- Demonstrate compliance with energy codes and standards
- Complete energy code compliance reports for building permit applications
- Complete energy performance reports and documentation required to support green building certifications such as LEED®
- Complete energy efficiency incentive applications on behalf of clients
- Conduct facility site visits and energy audits as required
- Develop written documentation concerning building design performance, recommended facility improvement measures, including accurate descriptions, savings potential, cost estimates and back up data to verify facility improvement measure
- Evaluate, interpret, clarify and explain complex specifications, performance characteristics or other technical data
Education & Experience:
- Graduation as a Mechanical Engineer from an accredited university, or as a Mechanical Engineering or Architectural Technician or Technologist.
- Registered (or eligible for registration) as a P. Eng., E.I.T. or C.E.T. with a Canadian Professional Association or Certifying Body.
- Building Energy Modelling Professional certification (BEMP), or Certified Energy Manager (CEM) an asset
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience doing building energy simulations with a variety of modelling software programs including IES Virtual Environment and eQUEST / CAN-QUEST
- Experience working in a consulting environment or the Energy Management field is an asset
- Experience working directly with clients
- Experience working in a team based environment with a deadline oriented culture
- Experience delivering written and oral reports to communicate technical analysis
- Should have a strong understanding of building envelope, mechanical and electrical building systems, energy markets, alternative energy technology, energy project implementation and the building construction process
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite with advanced knowledge of Excel
- Working knowledge of eQUEST and IES-VE, and the ability to assist others to troubleshoot software issues
- Working knowledge of the National Energy Code of Canada for Buildings (NECB), ASHRAE 90.1 standards, and the BC Step Code
- Good foundation of HVAC design and experience in controls and commissioning would be an asset
- A self-starter with the ability to produce and implement creative and innovative solutions
- The ability to build long lasting relationships with clients and other key players
In order to be successful in this position, the incumbent will be expected to possess the following competencies:
Analytical Thinking – Analyzing and synthesizing information to understand issues, identify options, and support sound decision making
Attention to Detail – Working in a conscientious, consistent and thorough manner
Client Focus – Providing service excellence to internal and/or external clients
Continuous Improvement and Learning – Identifying and addressing learning and development needs to enhance own performance
Initiative – Dealing with situations and issues proactively and persistently, seizing opportunities that arise
Interactive Communication – Listening to others and communicating articulately, fostering open communication
Problem Solving – Identifying problems and the solutions to them
Product Knowledge – Understanding the products and services provided
Resilience – Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous work demands
Testing – Knowledge and ability to perform testing of software and/or hardware using a systematic approach
Writing Skills – Ability to communicate ideas and information in writing to ensure that information and messages are understood and have the desired impact.
This is a fulltime position
Salary is open depending on current experience
Full benefits package
Performance bonus is available