The WSP Alberta Building Science team is growing again, and we're looking for an experienced, hands-on Building Science Consultant to join our Edmonton team. Reporting to the Building Sciences Manager, you would be responsible for providing technical excellence, reliable client service, and supporting the growth of this team.WHY WSP BUILDING SCIENCE?
Building Science encompasses a broad range of scientific and practical knowledge on the design, performance, construction, rehabilitation, maintenance and operation of new and existing buildings. With buildings being one of the major contributors of greenhouse gases to the environment, our efforts to improve the design and operation of buildings has a positive impact on our environment and our daily lives, especially as most of us live, work and play in a wide range of building types.
In our Alberta offices we provide Building Sciences services that include:
- Design and Commissioning of new building envelope systems and components;
- Building Condition Assessments for existing buildings, building envelopes, parkades and sites;
- Reserve Fund Studies for condominiums or small communities;
- Design for remediation and rehabilitation projects for buildings of all types; and
- Tender and construction period engineering services to support our design projects.
- Apply engineering knowledge on building science, structural remediation, and audit projects;
- Liaise with Clients and project participants during all phases of your projects;
- Liaise with contractors, sub-consultants and engineering disciplines;
- Conduct and oversee construction period site reviews monitoring quality of building construction and repairs;
- Accept responsibility for project tasks, deliverables and outcomes;
- Apply sustainable thinking and practices within project delivery; and,
- Contribute to the knowledge systems within the Building Science practice;
- 3+ years of engineering or construction experience in design, consulting, renewal, construction or advisory capacity for building systems (candidates with greater relevant experience are welcome to apply);
- A Bachelor's Degree in Building Science Engineering, Civil/Structural Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline is highly desirable;
- Currently registered with The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA) as a P. Eng, or, eligibility for registration as a P. Eng. with APEGA immediately following hiring is an asset;
- Experience with Building Condition Assessment and Reserve Fund Study reporting;
- Previous experience in the consulting engineering or construction industry;
- Exceptional time-management and organizational skills; attention to detail and strong work ethic;
- Strong oral and written communication skills including presentation skills;
- Knowledge of building materials and construction processes for repairing building envelopes, cladding systems, roofs, and parking structures;
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint;
- A team player with an entrepreneurial attitude and a desire to work with successful, energetic people;
- Strong at multi-tasking, organized and able to adapt to shifting priorities;
- Ability to travel to project sites within Western Canada and the North and work extended and various hours when required;
- Ability to obtain various government security clearances (facilitated by WSP);
- Ability to work at heights (WSP will provide suitable training);
- Acceptance and cooperation to work in a respectful workplace environment;
- Experience and training in Workplace Health and Safety protocol and experience in reading and following Safe Work Practices and Procedures is an asset;
- Candidates are advised that at least partial working from home will be required, and;
- Valid drivers license in good standing. (Abstract may be requested).
is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe it is expected that you comply with our Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) policy at all times as well as client HSE policies when working at client locations.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
WSP Canada Inc.