Why WSP? Enhance
the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.CALGARY, EDMONTON, SASKATOON
At WSP, we're continuing to grow and develop our expertise in Earth and Environment, operating as a trusted advisor and technical expert on engineering design challenges for our clients across multiple industries. Our team is growing, and as a result we're adding a Data Scientist and Visualization Lead to our water quality group. As part of the team in Prairies and North, you'll be responsible for driving forward our ambitious plans to enhance our Earth and Environment service offering in the province through your work with a close-knit team of engineering specialists, professionals, and technical staff.A day in the life...
We'd love to hear from you if you have...
- Day-to-day, you will work with the water quality team to expand and strengthen our data processing and visualization tools, with opportunities to collaborate with other environmental digitization and database teams within WSP;
- You'll be part of a company wide initiative to grow our environmental digitization tools to become a market leader in the way that we visualize and analyze large environmental datasets;
- You'll be proficient in python, VBA, R, and other coding languages, with the ability to interpret and update code from existing tools. You will troubleshoot/update tool functions with support from the technical team;
- You'll be a leader and innovator in the development of Power BI dashboards used to visualize environmental data on mining projects throughout Canada;
- You'll be working with a focus group who track water quality guideline updates in Canada, and you will support the team with managing these updates and issuing new versions of our data processing tools based on these guidelines;
- You'll train and mentor our team in the use of our tools, and present learning opportunities to other groups to expand your professional network;
- Working closely with project teams, you'll help identify new opportunities to expand the use of our water quality and environmental digitization tools, presenting to clients as needed, and helping troubleshoot and develop tools for project work.
- A university degree in environmental sciences, computer science, or software development;
- Environmental data management experience and a related technical background is an asset;
- Effective communication skills with the ability to move projects forward independently, provide training to others on the team on tools, and seek out technical support when needed;
- A track record of using R, python, and VBA to develop data management, assessment, and visualization tools;
- Has a strong understanding of DAX, data modelling patterns and experience sharing reports with external users;
- Experience with ingesting and consolidating data from external sources using Power Quer;
- Are familiar with Microsoft Power Platform and can leverage the M365 environment for operational excellence;
- A desire to stay current with industry trends and emerging technologies in data science, machine learning, and data visualization.
is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe it is expected that you comply with our Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) policy at all times as well as client HSE policies when working at client locations.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
WSP Canada Inc.