currently seeking an Experienced Structural Engineer
to join our growing Structural Engineering team. This position can be based out of our Alberta office. This team is part of our Canada-wide Structural practice with over 200 team members working in an integrated practice from coast to coast.Why WSP Structural Engineering?
WSP is growing and so is our local team. Are you someone who is looking to grow your career, challenge the norm and want to be part of innovation that can change how our industry works nationally or even globally? Our Alberta Buildings Structures Engineering Group is pursuing a Structural Engineer to join the Edmonton team . You are excited about the world of buildings, have a diverse background of relevant experience to draw from and want to have a voice to drive a positive impact within our group and for our clients. You love innovation in design, technology, and thinking from intriguing proposals through to novel solutions for constructed projects.
We are involved in a wide variety of projects, in scope as well as geography, and you will have the opportunity to gain an ever-growing range of experience not always found in some offices. Although locally focused, our structures team benefits from national, and international, technical groups and support such as; weekly technical talks, monthly technical development seminars, technical chat groups, computational design leaders, technical excellence networks.
Our Alberta Buildings team works as part of an integrated team that also includes project managers, structural, mechanical, electrical and civil specialists that work on a wide array of projects across Western and Northern Canada.
This position has great career advancement opportunities for the right candidate. Reporting to the Team Lead, this position will work closely with our Buildings Team and other engineering disciplines.RESPONSIBILITIES
- You will gain an understanding of the team culture, strengths and internal work processes.
- You will integrate yourself into the team combining your strengths and gifts in positively building the overall team and your own career.
- You will bring your creative solutions-based personality to projects and coordinate with clients, teammates and other design disciplines.
- Your friendly demeanour quickly helps you develop and maintain key client relationships effectively, and you are often recommended by clients to others for your services.
- Your contribution and integration within the project team will drive the overall project progress to achieve top performance from yourself, personnel and exceptional deliverables. You will provide feedback and input to other engineers and technical staff, supporting them from experience and your continued self-driven learning.
- As you are driven to ensure all aspects are covered, you will collaborate with your associates in other departments to discuss and advise on project requirements.
- You will plan, execute and control your efforts through all phases from initial feasibility through preliminary design/definition, detailed design, to completion of construction.
- With the support of senior principal engineers, you will bring your broad field of engineering and practical knowledge to perform varied engineering assignments, assessments, and reports, taking responsibility as a Structural Engineer for the design and completion of the project.
- You will perform and review engineering calculations and assessments for a wide variety of structure types including steel, concrete, masonry, and wood structures.
- Through your inner initiative, you will use judgment to resolve problems, interpret engineering specifications, delve into the investigation of design and field engineering challenges.
- With the combination of standard procedures, carefully considered modifications of standard procedures or incorporating previous methods you have developed, you will bring value in the solutions to technical project challenges.
- Clients and teammates will look to you for recommendations when changes in plans are needed, cost estimates are required and when you recommend payment for properly completed work.
- You will peer review work of others, suppliers and contractors, for accuracy and conformance with WSP national standards.
- You are a forward-thinking professional, who develops your work plan in alignment with the client's needs and ensures you and your team consistently meet agreed targets and standards, as well as positive project budget performance
- Occasional travel within Canada for site assessments and site support.
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Structural Engineering;
- Registered Professional Engineer with APEGA;
- 4+ years experience working as a Structural Engineer;
- Has a keen inner drive to provide the best innovative solutions for every project no matter how big or small;
- Continuously curious and strives to be a lifelong learner, gathering knowledge and understanding about various aspects of the buildings industry;
- Loves to share knowledge, experience and expertise with others to assist, mentor and coach others in their development and abilities;
- Has a holistic and collaborative mindset in approaching proposals, projects and problems;
- Is motivated by working with people, whether with internal collogues or with external clients;
- Has a strong network of contacts including clients and contractors;
- Driven to complete all tasks to best of their abilities;
- Consistently demonstrates full awareness of project status, scope, deliverables and budget;
- Experience in the design of new and renovation projects for a variety of project types such as Institutional (schools, data centres, prisons), Commercial (offices, retail stores, mixed use), Residential (low/high-rise multi-family), HealthCare (hospitals, laboratories), and Light Industrial is desired;
- Brings significant understanding and working knowledge of other building disciplines and fields of engineering and how they interact with Structures;
- Excellent knowledge of structural theory, the National Building Code of Canada, and Canadian design standards (concrete, structural steel, wood, masonry);
- Experience as a prime consultant as well as a sub-consultant working with Architects desirable;
- Proficiency in SAP2000, SAFE, and RamSteel an asset; and,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe it is expected that you comply with our Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) policy at all times as well as client HSE policies when working at client locations.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
WSP Canada Inc.