- Excellent opportunity for a Fire Chief to join and build a career with The City of Whitehorse!
- Provide vision and leadership to the Fire Department and take your career to the next level in this dynamic management role!
- Receive an extensive list of benefits including 4 weeks of vacation, Special Leave days, and RSP's!
About your next role with The City of Whitehorse...
Currently, The City of Whitehorse has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Fire Chief who wants to wants to further career in a pivotal leadership role.
Reporting to the Director of Infrastructure and Operations the successful candidate will assume overall management and responsibility of the Fire Department’s operations and activities pursuant to legislation, industry standards, and the City mandate.
- Directing, managing, planning, and leading the day-to-day and long-term operations and activities of the Fire Department to ensure ongoing worker and community safety
- Developing, implementing, maintaining, and evaluating the City’s emergency management program
- Developing and maintaining department strategic plans, standards, policies and procedures
- Building strong collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders on City and departmental initiatives
- Preparing and controlling departmental capital, operation, and maintenance budgets
As the ideal candidate, you will have a strong understanding of all facets of the fire service industry and bring with you a variety of knowledge, skills, practices, and experiences to the position that should include a record of accomplishments in:
- Managing and progressively leading a composite fire department, operational planning, financial planning/budgeting, administration, making sound business decisions and public speaking
- Building and maintaining good working relationships with key stakeholders both within and external to an organization, effectively resolving issues and conflicts
- Implementing departmental process improvements and bringing positive change to a tradition-based culture
- Effectively working with and in an unionized environment
In addition to having a genuine interest in building a career with The City of Whitehorse in the Fire Department, you should have the following certifications and qualifications (an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered):
- A degree in Public Safety Administrations, Fire Science, or a related field
- 10 years of previous related firefighting experience including at least four years of supervisory and/or management experience
- A Class 5 Driver’s License
Additionally, you should have the following certifications or be willing to obtain:
- Justice Institute of BC Certification (or equivalent) in Fire Fighter Levels I and II
- Fire Investigation Levels I and II
- Fire Inspector Levels I and II
- Incident Safety Officer
- Incident Command System 400
- Fire Officer I, II, & III
- Fire Officer IV (asset only)
What we can offer you
In appreciation of all your hard work and dedication on the job, you can look forward to receiving a highly competitive salary $118,890 to $133,933, depending on your experience and qualification, and up to $10,000 annual pay premium for 2018.
We understand you need a healthy work-life balance, and so we offer:
- Extended Health and Dental Benefits
- Group Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Weekly Indemnity Insurance (Short-term Disability), and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Health Spending Account of $1,000 per year
- Yukon Bonus
- 4 weeks of vacation accrual to start plus 2 week time in lieu of overtime
- Special Leave accruals
- Employee/employer funded RSP’s to ensure that you have funds when you retire
- Professional development support
Don’t miss this opportunity to expand your skill set with an innovative, caring employer.