About MPA Engineering Ltd.
- Use your expertise in a dynamic, multidisciplinary team working to make a tangible difference in the world
- Travel and work on impactful projects in Alberta
- Get rewarded with $80-120K annual salary plus top-tier benefits!
MPA Engineering Ltd. (MPA) is a 100% employee-owned firm established in 1996, specializing in bridge, bridge culvert, and drainage projects. Serving rural and urban municipalities, Alberta Transportation, oil and gas companies, and contractors, our team understands the challenges of maintaining aging infrastructure under increasing traffic demands. Whether it's a single bridge repair or a comprehensive Bridge Asset Management program, we're committed to cost-effective solutions!
With offices in Sherwood Park, Peace River, and Grande Prairie, Alberta, we have a strong presence in Central and Northern Alberta. At MPA, we take pride in our team of 20-30 dedicated employee-owners who work seamlessly to exceed client expectations. We believe in fostering an open and collaborative work environment where your voice is not only heard but valued. Our streamlined, flat organizational structure ensures swift responses to client needs, whilst ensuring our employees the ability to communicate freely.
For more information, please visit our website: mpaeng.ca
About the Opportunity
MPA is seeking a Fisheries Biologist to join our team. This position will be based out of our headquarters in Sherwood Park, Alberta, however, travel throughout Alberta is expected based on project requirements. This is a full-time position, although, alternative arrangements for part-time contracts may be considered for the right person.
As the Fisheries Biologist, you will be primarily responsible for leading the department as the sole subject-matter expert and advisor to the MPA team. Your assignments encompass fisheries assessments, permitting, and interpreting environmental legislation to aid bridge and culvert design and construction.
Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Providing expertise in understanding and interpreting applicable legislation, requirements, and best practices
- Conducting field studies, report writing, and permitting
- Liaising with clients, government agencies, and stakeholders
- Managing, planning, and leading studies (desktop and field-related) for QAES reports, environmental risk assessments, and evaluations
- Coordinating and supervising construction support activities (e.g., fish salvage, turbidity monitoring, and ECO plan preparation)
- Independently managing project tasks within approved scopes of work and budgets
- Cultivating and maintaining relationships with clients and regulatory agencies
- Contributing to proposal development
- Leading or assisting in business development efforts
- Other duties may include: wetlands assessment, and other environmental aspects of bridge and large culvert diameter design or construction
More About You
To qualify, you will need at least 5 years of experience as a Fisheries Biologist or in a related field, with a Bachelor's degree or higher in a field of biology, ecology, or a related discipline.
The following skills and experience will be strong assets:
- Hold or eligible for registration as a Professional Biologist (P. Biol.) with the Alberta Society of Professional Biologists (ASPB)
- Interest in fisheries, marine, or aquatic biology
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License and a reliable vehicle
- Proven ability to thrive in a small working environment where you are the subject matter expert
- Demonstrated competence to work independently and being self-driven
- Confidence in your expertise, ensuring clear communication to your audience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Adaptability to work in/on diverse weather conditions and terrain
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed for project assignments
Lastly, you will join us with strong time management skills and a conscientious attitude toward meeting deadlines. You should excel both as an individual and in a small organization environment, communicating effectively with coworkers, clients, and vendors. Additionally, your adaptability to work in diverse outdoor conditions and strong problem-solving abilities are essential for success.
About the Benefits
As a valued member of the MPA team, you will be awarded an $80-120K annual salary, in line with your skills, education, and experience, along with benefits including:
MPA is on the rise, offering a unique opportunity for career growth and diverse project experiences. Apply now and be part of our exciting journey!
- Extended health, dental, vision, and prescription coverage
- Disability and life insurance coverage
- Reimbursement for travel expenses
- Secure retirement with RRSP matching
- Paid vacation and sick days
- Employee stock purchase plan and profit sharing
- An opportunity to travel and work on exciting projects all over AB
- On-site parking
- Company socials and events!
- And many more!
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing Engineering Science