Posting End Date: Number of Opening:
As a member of the Mining Leadership team the General Manager, Oilsands will provide strategic leadership, direction and guidance for the Oilsands business unit, including sales and service operations. To ensure that the Oilsands business unit is staffed with the quantity and quality of employees to achieve short and long term goals and strategies, including safety, employee engagement, customer loyalty, operational excellence and financial results. Job Description: Major Job Functions:
- World Class Safety. Build on Finning's core value of safety to lead a step change improvement in Finning Canada's safety performance and embed a culture within the organization that achieves World Class Safety. Demonstrate to Finning's customers that we are a leaders in safety and it is a differentiating factor in the market.
- Service Operations Leadership. Drive the improvements in service excellence both in the shops and in the field. Leading a competent and diverse team of service and sales professionals providing quality work for Oil Sands customers. Continue to leverage technology to improve the efficiency of service administration with the Finning team and its customers.
- High Performance Culture. Champion, demonstrate and model High Performance Leadership behaviors, and set high expectations for the Mining leadership team to do the same. Be a role model for high performance culture change in terms of entrepreneurialism, creativity, accountability and commitment to customer service.
- People Strategy. Enhance the capabilities and capacity for growth of the Mining teams by developing and implementing a comprehensive people strategy and recruiting, retaining and developing talent. Build an environment of inclusion for the hourly workforce, improving their engagement, pride and loyalty to Finning and our customers. Ensure Oil Sands Mining employs and develops the highest quality and effective technicians, service and sales personnel.
- Customer Relationships. Initiate and maintain high level relationships with Finning's strategic and potential customers within the Mining teams at the Senior Leadership level. Enhance Finning's standing within the Mining industry by maintaining an executive presence and becoming involved in the community.
- Operational Excellence. Provide leadership on Finning's path toward operational excellence through driving consistent processes, financial discipline, SG&A containment and productivity and operational initiatives. Through a team of direct reports, improve market share, operational efficiency and effective use of all resources to meet growth and results targets.
- Relationship with CAT. Build and maintain relationships with CAT at all levels.
- Financial Results. Drive superior annual and long-term financial results, including revenue growth, EBIT, EBIT Margin and free cash flow. Identify opportunities by continually scanning the industry environment to recognize potential changes, and turn them into growth opportunities for Finning Mining.
- Drive innovation in the mining organization, by bringing the customer perspective into the team discussions, strategy reviews and its execution.
- Proven ability to build and grow strong customer relationships, as well as build a network with customers, Caterpillar and others in the industry.
- Strong understanding of changing market conditions, and linking those changes to marketing and technology strategies that drive sales performance and customer loyalty.
- Negotiation skills and formal training.
- Supporting and leading the business through negotiations and decision-making with a strong interpersonal focus and positive impact on business performance.
- Ability to understand complex business problems, to apply appropriate analysis and sound decision-making.
- Proven leadership, coaching, mentoring, and team development skills
- Strong strategic planning capabilities with the ability to turn plans into new realities.
- Highly collaborative with the ability to positively influence stakeholders at all levels
- Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle complexity and balance with big picture
- Results-oriented with a bias for action.
- Understands the mining activity, its operations and market dynamics.
- Understands the Oil Sands/Mining/Resource industries or and the needs of Finning's/OEM's customers; understands the industry scanning process
- Understands EH&S trends and keys to execute on those.
- Understands the impact of Collective Agreements on operations and how to manage effectively within
- Ability to quickly understand Finning overall operations and the integration points with the Mining/OEM
- Understands the business plan and long term strategy development process
- Knowledge of the Caterpillar product line & how to manage the dealer-CAT relationships
Education & Experience:
- Create a world-class safety culture that meets or exceeds all safety targets, and embed safety as a core value.
- Improve employee engagement and meet targeted engagement scores through leading a high performance team which understands the actions that will engage employees.
- Achieve customer loyalty targets.
- Ensure processes, practices and systems are effective, efficient and achieve productivity results. OCS responsibility.
- Accountable for achievement of Oil Sands financial results including revenue growth, EBITDA growth and strong free cash flow.
- Continually improve the service performance and overall financial performance of the Oil Sands Mining business.
- Must have a minimum of 15+ years of senior level sales & operations management experience for heavy duty equipment in the mining industry.
- Experience with Caterpillar dealership or other significant service provider to Mining and Oil and Gas producers would be considered a strong asset.
- Must have experience running a P&L of a similar scope, scale and complexity (i.e., $100M - 300M+)
- Must have an undergraduate degree in Business, Marketing or Engineering
We offer a competitive total rewards package which in addition to base salary and eligibility for short- and long-term incentive plan includes Provincial Health Care, Extended Health and Dental Benefits, Life and AD&D insurance, Short and Long term disability, a defined contribution pension plan, Vehicle Allowance, Relocation and Employee Share Purchase Plan.
If qualified and interested, please submit your application online at www.finning.com by the specified closing date. Please include the position title in the subject line of your application email. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We are committed to diversity at Finning, to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Finning does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Posted: February 21, 2019
Closes: April 22, 2019