Posting End Date: Number of Opening:
Reporting to the Infrastructure and Cloud Service Manager, the Global Virtual Computer Engineer will be responsible for implementing and deploying high availability solutions in the cloud environment. This position will work closely with all internal business teams across all Finning regions, contractors and vendors to successfully provide technology services to develop cloud solutions to meet operational goals for high availability, performance, stability, security and cost efficiency. Job Description:
Major Job Functions: Service Delivery
- Deploy and maintain virtual compute services across Finning clouds (Public and Private).
- Supporting role for global projects through the Project Management office as required.
- Develop lifecycle strategy for assets within the global virtual compute infrastructure.
- Communications with business teams in all Finning regions to understand requirements and working with other team members.
- Establish best practices where possible to improve service delivery globally.
- Infrastructure monitoring across production and non-production platforms.
- Continuous service improvement with the goal to improve costs, delivery and SLA's.
- Measure and communicate performance metrics for Infrastructure Services and analyze data to discover opportunities for service improvement.
- Building relationships with vendors in each region to identify gaps and opportunities with emerging technologies.
- Provide troubleshooting and root cause analysis for production issues .
- Develop supporting documentation and high-level designs for services as required.
- Regular review of existing documentation and update as required
- Maintain inventory of data centers, relevant hardware, vendor contracts and the associated refresh cycles
- Working with vendors and business teams to gather required information to assess if SLA's are being met.
- Manage reports on lifecycle management: lease expirations, software release, some software licensing etc.
- Manage and socializing reports about costs about cloud services consume for all the business areas in each Finning regions.
- Demonstrable expertise on management and operations of an enterprise Cloud compute environment.
- Experience with moving from VMWare or Hypervisor to Public Cloud Services.
- Experience working with Cloud Management Platforms, orchestrator and automation.
- Team Focused - Understand how to work efficiently with multiple employees.
- Good decision making and understanding when to seek guidance.
- Good understanding of Change Management and how this affects deployment and support of services.
- Time management skills are required.
- Great analytical and problem solving skills.
- Great ability to build relationships.
- Good ability to have outcome based direction.
- Must be fluent in English (verbal and written), Spanish would be an asset
- In depth understanding of Cloud compute services (Public and Private):
- IaaS, Paas, SaaS based solutions and technologies
- Management Cloud providers such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, Force, Office 365
- Operating systems such as Windows Server 2012 or above and Linux Red Hat 6 or above, SUSE 8 or above.
- Monitoring platforms such as System Center SCOM or OMS.
- Citrix XenApp, NetScaler and other application delivery methods
- Cloud Management Platforms (CMP) such as RightScale, Scalr, etc..
- Orchestration and automation Cloud Services using Chef, Puppet or similar technologies.
- Be familiar with products and solutions from vendors such as, but not limited to, VMware, Citrix, Microsoft, AWS, Red Hat and SUSE.
- VMware, vSphere, vCenter and virtual management platforms such as vCloud Director and Powershell.
- Overall understanding and experience with Network technologies on the cloud especially Azure or AWS.
- Broad working knowledge across various complimentary Infrastructure services - LAN, WAN, WLAN, Data center, Internet, Firewalls, Security, etc.
- Working knowledge on enterprise level monitoring and management tools
- Working knowledge of vulnerability scanning / penetration testing with the ability to coordinate remediation activities
Education & Experience:
- Implementation of compute services for corporate (globally), BP&S and regional projects.
- Support of services to ensure SLA's are met
- Ensure approved policies are being followed, including vendors and risk identification
- Operational documentation of Compute Infrastructure is developed and maintained
- 9x5 Operations of compute services with some evening or weekend work.
- Forecasting and planning of inventory refresh
- 5-10 years or more of demonstrable virtual compute experience.
- ITIL methodology and demonstrable experience in incident, change, problem, request and event management
- Training on industry standard technologies (Certificates would be an asset).
- Experience working with vendors on deploying service offerings, solution reviews and pricing to achieve project objectives.
We are committed to diversity at Finning, to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Finning does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Posted: December 11, 2018
Closes: February 9, 2019