Requisition ID: 57445
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off. Purpose of Job:
Contributes to the overall success of Home Financing Solutions (HFS) in Canada, ensuring specific individual goals, plans, initiatives are executed / delivered in support of the team's business strategies and objectives. Ensures all activities conducted are in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
The Home Financing Advisor Lending Manager is responsible for servicing new HFA's during their onboarding, training and development, until ready for hand-off to a designated HFLM. They will provide high levels of underwriting service, policy and process assistance to support the movement to a designated HFLM. Key Job Accountabilities:
- Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Manage relationships with HFS & HFLM Regional Directors and HFS Senior Managers of Sales relating to the ongoing underwriting and due diligence of mortgage applications from newer HFAs.
- Supporting the development of HFA productivity to warrant promotion to an HFLM. The incumbent will accomplish this through the effective communication of Bank lending policy and procedures, instilling a thorough knowledge of our lending requirements and qualifying parameters. By providing qualitative and quantitative feedback to HFS management, the incumbent will provide insights on HFA performance and readiness for promotion to an HFLM
- Responsible for end-to-end underwriting and condition fulfillment for incoming mortgage applications from HFAs as specified, with duties including (but not limited to):
- Determining and obtaining all pertinent credit information such as proof of income, down payment confirmation, etc., and conducting appropriate due diligence thereon in order to meet the Bank's credit and quality standards, including anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing standards, and maintaining the bank's desired reputation with the public and regulators.
- Accurately reviewing (and if needed, correcting) data electronically supplied by HFAs, inputting data to computer underwriting program and reviewing the merits of the application, and determine a "pass", "fail" or "further consideration" decision for each mortgage application.
- Within a designated discretionary limit for mortgage applications which are "passed" by the system, approve or decline mortgage transactions and recommend to a higher level those which are qualified for further review if the incumbent considers them to be credit worthy.
- Issuing and following-up on mortgage commitments.
- Ordering and reviewing appraisals for conventional mortgages, if required.
- Assembling, analyzing and ensuring receipt of all relevant information and documentation prior to onward submission of the file to the Mortgage Funding Department for timely instruction to solicitors.
- Obtain Mortgage Insurer approval for insured loans and order and review appraisals for conventional mortgages, if required.
- Develop a thorough knowledge of the Bank's retail products, policies and procedures
- Monitor HFA activities and bring any activities which appear worthy of further investigation to the attention of appropriate Bank officers (supervisor or S&I)
- Understand how the Bank's risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
- University Degree or Diploma with a minimum of 5 years of underwriting residential mortgages
- Strong experience in residential mortgage underwriting
- Knowledge of and experience in dealing with mortgages generated by HFAs / mobile mortgage specialists
- Expert knowledge of Bank mortgage products, and all the policies / procedures relating to the credit adjudication and funding of the products
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills to deal with the demands of Home Financing Advisors and to be able to tactfully relay unpopular messages
- Sound organizational skills with ability to prioritize and give close attention to detail
- Thorough knowledge of the pertinent Real Estate market, competitor innovations, trends and developments that might influence market dynamics
- Thorough knowledge of mortgage related products (Mortgage Insurance / Insurance, other credit products, deposit products and etc.)
- Knowledge of Bank external marketing programs
- The incumbent will work from home and will provide a suitable space in order to permit them to conduct business without distraction or intrusion upon the privacy of any customer materials. The space should not need to be utilized for HFA meetings.
Location(s): Canada : Alberta : Calgary
As Canada's International Bank, we are a leader when it comes to inclusion. We are a diverse and global team, speaking more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to provide as seamless a recruitment experience as possible. Job Segment:
Underwriter, Bank, Banking, Law, Risk Management, Insurance, Finance, Legal