- Excellent opportunity for an HR professional to join and build a career with The City of Whitehorse!
- Provide vision and leadership to the HR department and take your career to the next level in this dynamic management role!
- Receive an extensive list of benefits including 4 weeks of vacation, Special Leave days, and RSP's!
Explore Whitehorse...The Wilderness City
Whitehorse is home to some of the most spectacular scenery in Canada. Named “the Wilderness City”, Whitehorse is nestled on the banks of the famous Yukon River surrounded by mountains and pristine lakes. Gorgeous scenery and a vibrant city lifestyle, it’s no small wonder over 26,000 people enjoy living in Whitehorse year round.
A healthy economy, small town values, a safe environment in which to raise a family, and access to the great outdoors, make Whitehorse one of the best cities in Canada in which to live and work. Whitehorse provides diverse services to all outlying communities and has an economic base including mining, transportation services, tourism, and government services.
About your next role with The City of Whitehorse...
Currently, The City of Whitehorse has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Manager, Human Resources who wants to further their career in a pivotal leadership role.
Reporting to the Director, Corporate Services, you will provide vision and leadership in all Human Resource initiatives to ensure that the City provides efficient and effective services to citizens.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing corporate leadership in all human resource areas, including recruitment and performance management consistent with collective agreements and/or employment contracts and city policies and managing the daily activities of the Human Resources department
- Collaboratively developing, coordinating and managing corporate human resources programs, policies, and practices including, but not limited to recruitment, orientation, salary and benefit administration, performance management, corporate training/development and employee engagement, consistent with collective agreements and/or employment contracts
- Conducting research, consulting with Legal Counsel, providing consistent interpretation advice, and facilitating resolutions for employees and the employer on labour and employee relations issues and other complex labour relations issues
- Managing and overseeing the job evaluation program consistently with the established processes including classification and compensation of all corporate positions
- Fostering and maintaining effective relationships among internal and external stakeholders
- Participating actively on various joint committees as the employer liaison
- Preparing and controlling the department’s annual Capital and Operation and Maintenance multi-year budgets
- Acting as a standing member of employment agreement negotiating teams
- Coordinating negotiations with internal stakeholders, conducting research, providing advice, and analyzing proposals
- Ensuring, so far as is reasonably practicable, that safety procedures and standards are followed by personnel throughout the department
As the ideal candidate, you will have Degree in Human Resource Management or equivalent and a minimum of 8 years of progressive, related human resource experience working within a unionized environment, four of which have been in a supervisory or management level
You will also possess:
- Excellent knowledge of relevant municipal, Territorial and Federal statutes
- Prior collective bargaining and program development experience
- Excellent organizational skills, prioritizing and the ability to multitask with minimal supervision
- Excellent skills relating to communications, team building, liaising with stakeholders, human relations, and problem-solving
- Proven written and oral communication skills to develop and present reports, position papers, and proposals
- The ability to foster and maintain effective relationships with peers and/or stakeholders
- A valid Class 5 driver’s license
What we can offer you
In appreciation of all your hard work and dedication on the job, you can look forward to receiving a highly competitive salary, depending on skills and experience.
We understand you need a healthy work-life balance, and so we offer:
- Extended Health and Dental Benefits
- Group Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Weekly Indemnity Insurance (Short-term Disability), and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Health Spending Account of $1,000 per year
- Yukon Bonus
- 4 weeks of vacation accrual to start plus 2 week time in lieu of overtime
- Special Leave accruals
- Employee/employer funded RSP’s to ensure that you have funds when you retire
- Professional development support
Don’t miss this opportunity to expand your skill set with an innovative, caring employer. For full details and to apply, please visit http://jobs.applyfirst.ca/jobs/98138.