is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 55,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 9,800+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We are among the LinkedIn Top 25 Companies two years in a row, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada's Top 100 Infrastructure Projects .
•We value our people and our reputation
•We are locally dedicated with international scale
•We are future focused and challenge the status quo
•We foster collaboration in everything we do
•We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable EDMONTON
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms - made stronger with the recent creation of WSP E&I Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WSP Canada Inc.
We have over 63,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000 people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments. The Opportunity:
WSP E&I is currently seeking Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer(s) to join our team in Edmonton.
The Alberta Geotechnical group is involved in a range of projects from conventional to leading-edge complex assignments in the area of foundations, infrastructure and transportation; design of oil sands and tailings dams, pit walls and waste dump structures in the mining industry; and slope assessment and stabilization work related to geohazards.
The diversity in projects and complexity provides the opportunity for a rewarding career in one or more practice areas of choice.
We have exciting opportunities in the following practice areas:
• Tailings dams/oilsands/mining and water dams,
• Foundations/infrastructure/transportation, and
• Geohazards, slope stabilization, and pipelines
The successful candidate(s) for the various positions will have a strong understanding of geotechnical engineering and engineering geology of greater Edmonton with adjoining areas and other parts of AB/BC; as well as great project/client management, construction QA/QC and excellent communication skills.
If you have a proven track record in the geotechnical/geological consulting environment, this opportunity will provide both professional and personal satisfaction with excellent opportunities for career progression.
Alberta. Why WSP?
• We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion
• Our Flexible Work Policy
- we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
• Our Hybrid Work Policy
- a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
• A Canadian
success story - we're proud
to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your
ideas and trying new
• A phenomenal collaborative
culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people
who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey. We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future. #WeAre WSP A day in the life:
As a Geotechnical Engineer with WSP E&I, you'll have the opportunity to:
• Use your technical skills to support and deliver high-quality engineering services including geotechnical investigations, analyses, conceptual and detailed engineering designs, technical specifications, drawings, reporting, and construction QA/QC support.
• Maintain technical proficiency, including participation in professional practice groups internally and externally.
• Supervise and/or coordinate field investigations and/or construction inspections as applicable to support projects.
• Use your business sense and communication abilities to maintain and build strong client relationships.
• Use your project management and interpersonal skills to manage projects and support/lead geotechnical and multidisciplinary project teams.
• Mentor, train, and develop junior geotechnical engineering and technologist staff.
• Prepare technical proposals and reports.
• Coordinate with other project managers, other geotechnical staff, and discipline leads to manage project deliverables, ensuring schedules and budgets are achieved.
• Collaborate with other WSP disciplines and offices on various projects in Calgary, Edmonton, Northern Alberta, and occasionally in USA and international locations.
This position requires local and regional travel and occasional out-of-town assignments up to three weeks in duration. Assignments will at times be in remote areas and under physically demanding conditions. Work will often be outdoors and on active construction sites. Light to moderate lifting will be required.
About Kamloops: Kamloops is a vibrant community with a wide variety of services and amenities, and outdoor activities galore. Kamloops is best known for world class trout fishing, hiking, golfing, snowmobiling, skiing, and snowboarding. Kamloops also offers an affordable housing market with good rental opportunities What you'll bring to WSP ...
• Completion of a Geological, Construction or Civil Engineering Technology Diploma Program
• Geotechnical Drilling experience, specifically with the installation of geotechnical instruments
• Experience working in the Alberta Oil Sands region is an asset.
• A minimum 5 years of relevant industry experience.
• Flexibility to work a variety of schedules (from 1 week on up to 3 weeks on shift (days / nights) in a range of weather conditions is required for this role
• Ability to go to the field (or a site) for up to 3 weeks at a time is required for this role.
• Good written and verbal English communication skills
• Required to be physically and mentally fit for work.
• Highly motivated individual with good communication/networking skills and commitment to client service and technical excellence
• Team-oriented, self-motivated and safety conscience with strong problem solving skills
• Strong ability to follow directions and work independently.
• Willingness to do a variety of tasks and able to prioritize.
• Ability to work in the laboratory (including geologic core logging) and office settings.
• Working knowledge of the Microsoft office suite of programs.
• Standard First Aid Level C with AED, CSTS, and H2S Alive is an asset.
• Pre-access drug and alcohol testing (as required)
• Unrestricted Class 5 driver's license valid in Alberta and a clean Driver's Abstract (to be provided by successful candidates)
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe and the growing list of our clients including vaccination status as part of their mandated health and safety requirements to work with them, you will be required to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to WSP as a condition of employment.
You may also be required to undergo additional immunization to maintain a fully vaccinated status against COVID-19 whenever local Public Health Authorities recommend additional immunization.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY .
WSP Canada Inc.
Intermediate (6 - 10 years)
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada/