WSP are a global leader in the Earth and Environment sector. We have an opportunity for a Geotechnical Tailings Engineer to join our Mine Waste team on a full-time basis in Western Canada.
As part of the team, you will have access to an unparalleled network of resources, expertise, and endless opportunities to collaborate on exciting projects with diverse teammates from marine biologists to geophysicists to geotechnical engineers and more.When you're in this exciting role, you will:
What you'll bring to the team includes:
- Manage a wide variety of tailings or water embankment dams and waste rock spoils projects, including field investigation; laboratory testing and interpretation; design and construction; geotechnical analysis; and dam safety inspections and reviews
- Scope, direct, and review geotechnical analyses with a focus on soil mechanics, including stability, seepage, and thermal modelling; tailings deposition modeling; and run out analyses for mine waste or water embankment dams and waste rock spoils
- Manage medium to large projects according to client-approved scopes of work, and deliver high quality reports on time and within budget under the direction of senior engineers
- Maintain existing client relationships and develop new business opportunities
- Complete technical proposals and design work packages in response to client needs, under the direction of senior engineers
- Mentor and effectively delegate work to junior engineers
- Participate in and promote a safety-first culture
- 5 to 15 years of relevant (post-degree) experience working in a consulting engineering or mining industry environment
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil or Geological Engineering, Master's Degree preferred
- Currently registered as a Professional Engineer in a Canadian province or territory
- Strong technical writing, interpersonal communication, and emotional intelligence
- Ability to establish and maintain good relationships with clients and colleagues
- Be able to work in and/or lead diverse teams
- Strong, client-focused project management skills
- Sound knowledge in soil mechanics and geotechnical engineering
- Ability to think critically and problem solve
- Ability to effectively delegate work and lead small project teams
- French or Spanish language skills (verbal and written) would be an asset
- Commitment to safe work practices for yourself and your colleagues
is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe it is expected that you comply with our Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) policy at all times as well as client HSE policies when working at client locations.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
WSP Canada Inc.