WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms - made stronger with the recent creation of WSP E&I Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WSP Canada Inc. We have over 63,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000 people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.The Opportunity:
WSP E&I Canada has an exciting opportunity for an Intermediate to Senior Geotechnical Technologist
to join our Alberta Geotechnical field group. Our field group support projects in all of Alberta as part of the Alberta Geotechnical Operation. This position will have a home base in Calgary, AB and will involve field work locally as well as in central to northern Alberta. Our current workload is mainly in the mining industry, transportation and infrastructure, heavy foundations, pipelines, geotechnical hazards and slope stability. The ideal candidate will be energetic, self-motivated with a minimum 5 years of relevant industry experience.Why WSP?
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.#WeAreWSPA day in the life:
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy - we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Promote safety culture by ensuring site specific HSE policies and safety standard procedures are adhered to
- Monitor geotechnical drilling, instrumentation installations, and core sample recovery.
- Classify soil and bedrock samples, and carry out various field testing of soils, bedrock, and groundwater
- Installation of various instruments pertaining to slope stability and foundation investigations.
- Taking readings from various type of geotechnical instruments (slope inclinometers SAAs VW's etc.)
- Programming, installing, and downloading information from data loggers
- Compilation of field data, record keeping and coordination of work including communication through verbal and written correspondence.
- Monitoring and reporting of construction observations and results and providing guidance during construction.
- Managing various type of subcontractors.
- Geotechnical Core logging
- Report writing of field and laboratory results.
- You will always ensure health and safety policies are followed at all sites and take WSP's Life Saving rules to heart;
- Completion of a Geological, Construction or Civil Engineering Technology Diploma Program
- Geotechnical Drilling experience, specifically with the installation of geotechnical instruments
- Experience working in the Alberta Oil Sands region is an asset.
- A minimum 5 years of relevant industry experience.
- Flexibility to work a variety of schedules (from 1 week on up to 3 weeks on shift (days / nights) in a range of weather conditions is required for this role
- Ability to go to the field (or a site) for up to 3 weeks at a time is required for this role.
- Good written and verbal English communication skills
- Required to be physically and mentally fit for work.
- Highly motivated individual with good communication/networking skills and commitment to client service and technical excellence
- Team-oriented, self-motivated and safety conscience with strong problem solving skills
- Ability to follow directions and work independently.
- Willing to do a variety of tasks and able to prioritize.
- Ability to work in the laboratory (including geologic core logging) and office settings.
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft office suite of programs.
- Standard First Aid Level C with AED, CSTS, and H2S Alive is an asset.
- Pre-access drug and alcohol testing.
- Unrestricted Class 5 driver's license valid in Alberta
- Clean Driver's Abstract (to be provided by successful candidates)
is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe it is expected that you comply with our Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) policy at all times as well as client HSE policies when working at client locations.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
WSP Canada Inc.
Maintenance and Technicians