MDA is a world leading provider of earth observation satellite ground systems focused on the acquisition, processing, archiving, and discovery of huge volumes of space-based imagery. Working in multidisciplinary and multi-level teams in an ever changing world, we deliver leading-edge technical, operational, and commercial solutions to commercial and government customers around the globe. Our mission critical systems provide the Earth Observation infrastructure that drives operational success and enables our customers to effectively utilize their space-based imagery. Building on 40 years of success in satellite earth observation leadership, we are seeking staff to define and deliver the next generation of large, complex earth observation satellite ground systems. Come be a part of the team bringing imagery from the next generation of satellite constellations to the screens of the world. Position Description:
We are looking for three talented and dynamic system engineers. To become a Junior System Engineer working in the Satellite Ground Systems group, previous domain experience is not required but a strong interest in satellite imaging is important. Our products are built around heterogeneous technologies and integrate client-server applications, web-based user interfaces including interaction with maps, web API and SOA technologies, workflow orchestration systems, messaging and event driven systems, database design and management, domain modelling and high-throughput data processing software.
We are looking for &ldquo big picture&rdquo yet detail-oriented individuals to integrate computers and software into functional systems operating in the customer&rsquo s environment. Your talents will be rewarded with career and personal growth in an organization dedicated to success in a team environment, along with opportunities to travel to exciting locations in Asia, Europe and the Middle-East. Responsibilities:
As a Junior System Engineer, you will be part of a team whose primary role is to turn a set of heterogeneous computers into a fully-functional ground station capable of receiving and producing images from orbiting satellites. The work involves:
- Learning proven system engineering processes, techniques and methodologies
- Configuring Windows, Linux, and VMware environments on a network of workstation and server grade computers
- Installing a mix of commercial and MDA-developed software and configuring them to inter-operate as a system
- Running a suite of isolated and end-to-end factory tests to adjust the configuration of the integrated system and confirm it performs in accordance with specification
- Preparing the system for shipping, and re-installing it at the customer&rsquo s location
- Re-assembling equipment into the customer&rsquo s environment (space, power, cooling), and integrating it with the customer&rsquo s antenna and network
- Running formal acceptance tests to demonstrate the correct operation of the ground
- Training and assisting the customer&rsquo s personnel in operating the system themselves
- Experience in the following are a must:
- University Degree in Computer Science, Engineering (Computer, Electrical), or an equivalent university degree or technical diploma.
- Commercial operating systems including Windows, Windows Server and Unix/Linux including networking
- Scripting languages such as Perl or Unix/Linux shell
- C++ or Java
- Experience in any of the following would be considered an asset:
- System interfaces and system-level integration
- Virtual environments
- Software version and/or configuration management control systems
- Testing techniques, including test tools and test data generation
- Computer administration concepts including system (network settings, OS services, etc.), software (databases, COTS) and system administration tools
- Debugging and troubleshooting techniques, especially at the system level
- User and configuration-level familiarity with one or more of:
- Databases (Oracle, PostgreSQL, &hellip ) and SQL
- Web applications, preferably with map interactions such as OpenLayers
- Geospatial systems such as GeoServer
- Apache Tomcat or Jetty, Apache HTTP Server
- Dynamic languages such as Groovy or Python
- SOA and RESTful technologies
- An understanding of object oriented design and programming, data structures and algorithms
- Remote sensing (SAR or Optical)
Positions are based in Richmond, BC and include domestic and foreign travel.
Successful candidate(s) must be able to obtain and hold security clearance at the Reliability level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program.
For candidates with less than three years of work experience, please include a transcript of your grades with your application.
MDA provides customers around the world with essential information solutions used for decision making. Our employees enjoy challenging careers with opportunity for growth and learning.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Primary ActivitiesCandidate Profile
Posted: August 13, 2018
Closes: September 18, 2018