First Canada, our nation's largest provider of bus passenger transportation, has a full time opening for 'Safety Officer'. PURPOSE:
Supervises the safety program for one or more small to midsize locations. Ensures compliance with federal, state and local regulations and company policy. Responsibilities include all or most of those listed below. RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Demonstrate and communicate Safety First in all things;
- Provides direction and guidance to location trainers. Develops and monitors contents of classroom training to ensure compliance. Teaches classes as required. Schedules and conducts re-cert and re-training;
- Investigates incidents, accidents, and work-related injuries including accident investigation, accident reports, accident files, accident register, and follows up with the claims office and adjusters as necessary. Typically determines fault or preventability based on the facts identified at the scene. Provides post-accident counseling with drivers. Retrains drivers as necessary;
- Prepares and submits accident-related compliance forms, maintains files, and enters in DMO, or otherwise submits data to appropriate person or organization;
- Plans, schedules and conducts monthly safety meetings based on region and company safety and safety training goals and objectives. Assists and participates in Safety Action Team meetings. Sets up regular accident review committees to determine preventability of accidents. Responds to appeals from drivers;
- Provides assistance and training to drivers and attendants on passenger management and other safety related issues;
- Performs driver road checks of driver performance (e.g., pre-trip checks, driving; post-trip checks);
- Provide various reports and analyzes, including safety trends. Develops cost saving recommendations. Performs other duties and projects as assigned.
- Determines appropriate compliance and administrative forms/requirements and supervises the location's safety program based on regulations and company policy;
- May modify and deliver safety and driver training, either personally or through staff, based on company policy, region goals and location need;
- May provide work direction to Driver Trainers/Instructors;
- May hire drivers based on regulatory requirements, company policy and driver interviews;
- May hire and train employees engaged in safety, driver training and/or compliance processes.
- High school diploma or equivalent;
- Safety designation such as NCSO, CRSP is mandatory;
- Class 5 minimum licence and safety professional designation from an accredited professional certification body;
- 3 years or more experience in transportation industry is considered a strong asset;
- Knowledge of federal and state rules and regulations regarding safety and environmental issues;
- Computer literate with working knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Ability to effectively prioritize tasks and manage time effectively;
- Good verbal, written and relational communication skills, with ability to appropriately interact with employees of all levels including drivers, customers, senior management, client representatives, union officials and general public;
- Demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality;
- Possess working vehicle to travel with in service area as needed.
- Incumbent must be able to move about the office and in the surrounding company facility outside the office (e.g., bus parking lot); utilize standard office equipment; access filing system/cabinets; and communicate effectively and efficiently in person or by telephone;
- Must be able to drive company or personal vehicle to investigate accidents, review driver safety performance or handle other company matters.
First Canada is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from women, persons with a disability, Aboriginal peoples and members of a visible minority.
Posted: November 16, 2017
Closes:December 8, 2017