WSP is currently seeking a Manager, Municipal Engineering
, located in our Edmonton office
. The successful candidate will be responsible for the business leadership and operational management of the Municipal Engineering Team in Edmonton and Northern Alberta. The operational unit is on a trajectory to grow more than 20% in the next year. The Manager's role is to maintain and improve WSP's position as a leading Municipal Engineering services provider through promoting the vision and culture of the firm and in executing the strategy and meeting the objectives collaboratively set with the Director and business line.
This is a unique opportunity to grow an existing business as part of our strategic plan that offers innovative, value-engineered solutions that draw on decades of experience through your valuable experience building a discipline led across a province/territory and through your understanding of the challenges and risks of this sector. You will have significant experience optimizing the financial, commercial, and project delivery performance of an existing business; develop plans, programs and organizational objectives to enhance margins, workforce utilization, and cash generation. This will enable the growth of the business, ensure client satisfaction, and help position WSP in the market.
We are looking for someone who has worked in the Edmonton market, comes with developed relationships with key clients and experience with team leadership. WSP is a company that values a diverse workforce including in our leadership ranks. With this in mind, we encourage all applicants to explore how their qualifications may be applicable realizing that we are looking for the right individual and the right fit to lead our established team. This could be from the ranks of those progressing through their career as much as those that are seasoned veterans. Why WSP?
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy - we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
#WeAreWSPA day in the life:
- Provide leadership to a team of technical staff delivering Municipal Engineering projects to a range of clients such as municipal/provincial/federal governments and agencies, non-government organizations, Indigenous communities, consultants, contractors, etc.
- Coordinate business development efforts in the region, by deploying resources to manage and maintain client relationships. Through these strong relationships the manager will help to identify opportunities in the project pipeline and gather data/insights to support preparation of effective proposals. Engage staff in business development initiatives as appropriate.
- Translating market knowledge by strategically planning, preparing, and/or reviewing winning proposals.
- Working with Project Managers to monitor the overall performance of projects being undertaken, ensuring effective and proactive management of project finances, scope, schedule, quality, and effective client service. Provide leadership and support to ensure consistent and effective use of corporate project management tools.
- Working with the Director as part of the management team, to establish discipline-specific strategies, budgets, goals, and objectives consistent with, and supportive of, broader business line and corporate strategies.
- Monitoring and managing overall workload and staffing levels within the department to maintain overall utilization at desirable levels. Work with leadership and other managers to support inter-office collaboration and resource/work sharing to balance workloads and meet project delivery objectives across the discipline.
- Supporting business improvement and growth initiatives, providing effective leadership and change management to engage staff.
- Driving productivity, motivation, and performance. Ensure compliance with established quality and production procedures. Provide leadership to sustain a culture of continual improvement and client satisfaction.
- Providing senior review and professional authentication of memos, reports, drawings, and other engineering documents.
- Liaising with clients, consultants, regulatory and utility agencies, and contractors.
- Uphold the company's core values and maintain Health and Safety at the highest level.
- Responsibility for overall resource management, including recruitment, team building, staff development, engagement, and performance management.
- Implement and track career development plans for staff within the department to support skills development, effective succession management, career paths and staff retention.
- Other duties as assigned.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- While the Department Manager is involved in billable work, your utilization and project commitments must be managed to ensure an appropriate level of attention to management and leadership responsibilities.
- Providing project management, engineering, and technical expertise; project components include project planning, studies, preliminary design, and final design.
- Develop, maintain, and coordinate the relationships and efforts of other offices or business lines for the successful delivery of assignments.
- Coordination with Major Projects and alternative delivery assignments in the provision of utility, civil or drainage efforts.
- Cross-disciplinary design supervision and design coordination, preparation of construction plans and bid document specifications, office engineering construction support, coordination with facility operations staff, start-up assistance, and contract administration.
- Undergraduate Degree in Engineering (Civil Engineering preferred) from an accredited university is an asset;
- Registered with APEGA;
- Minimum 15 years of related experience with a minimum 5 year experience in a supervisory capacity;
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams of professionals;
- Experience in the delivery of various municipal engineering infrastructure assignments including water resources, conveyance, civil engineering, and vertical assets;
- Experience with P3 projects and / or other alternative project delivery models is an asset;
- Strategic, conceptual analytical thinking and decision-making skills;
- Adaptability and flexibility including the ability to manage project deadlines;
- Experience with schedule software is an asset;
- Demonstrated willingness to learn;
- Strong interpersonal skills and enthusiastic team player;
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills; and
- Flexibility to work on multiple projects of varied complexity with minimal supervision.
is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 65,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
- We value our people and our reputation
- We are locally dedicated with international scale
- We are future focused and challenge the status quo
- We foster collaboration in everything we do
- We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
Health and Safety is a core paramount value of WSP. Given the importance of keeping one another safe it is expected that you comply with our Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) policy at all times as well as client HSE policies when working at client locations.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.
WSP Canada Inc.