We're looking for a Manager, User Research to help us inspire, grow, and oversee a team of User Researchers and Customer Insights Analysts, to deliver exceptional customer research and insights to the organization. You'll be responsible for developing and evolving a world-class User Research Center-Of-Excellence, that drives and supports user research practices across the Hootsuite Product organization, and helps the organization become more customer and research driven.While based in Hootsuite's Vancouver, Toronto, or Ottawa office (post COVID19) or remotely across Canada (in accordance with Hootsuite's local employment entities), you will report to the Senior Director, Product Marketing. WHAT YOU'LL DO:
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Enable and support your team to plan and execute primary and secondary research, usability testing, insights analysis, and other research methodologies, in order to uncover and share insights that help Hootsuite understand our customers' needs and painpoints
- Enable and support your team to work collaboratively with product design, product management, and development teams, to ensure research insights inform and influence product strategy, and roadmap prioritization and design
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of Hootsuite's business objectives, customers, product portfolio and competition - by conducting or participating in relevant user research, competitive analysis, and other design thinking activities
- Scale and evolve user research practices within Hootsuite through enablement, training, and workshops to help Hootsuite become more customer and research driven
- Define, lead, and oversee user research initiatives for the team - defining overall goals, process, and outcomes, and proactively reporting changes to the Director, Product Design, and key Product leadership stakeholders. Create an environment that allows a high functioning team to thrive by continually assessing resource/capacity and skills/competency gaps, and making recommendations to Product Design leadership
- Provide direct supervision to individual contributors on your team (your direct reports), helping to manage overall workload, set work prioritization, and continually assess their contributions and development, providing clear and actionable feedback.
- Collaborate effectively with senior Product leadership, to ensure user research is effectively leveraged to influence and drive product vision and strategy. Drive and maintain alignment with other research teams in the Hootsuite organization
WHO YOU ARE:
- Lengthy experience in an applied research setting, and/or product research and development and considerable experience managing user research teams
- A strong portfolio comprised of projects which demonstrate strategic and impactful research insights with clear actionable outcomes to complex problems
- Ability to identify the best methodology, plan and conduct (or oversee) a wide range of user research activities to enable the organization to uncover critical customer insights
- Ability to identify opportunities and create clarity out of ambiguity. Ability to enable and support team to scope studies appropriately, honing key objectives and selecting appropriate methods to address objectives. Consistently relied upon for expertise in Hootsuite customers and tasks to inform strategic decisions
- Experience working within an Enterprise and B2B SaaS product environment
- Experience working with product leadership to plan and prioritize research opportunities in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to develop a strong understanding of the business, vision and strategy, as well as complex technical requirements, and incorporate them into research
- Experience advocating research findings to diverse audiences throughout the organization, through written reports and verbal presentations
- Ability to identify opportunities for process and operational improvements and execute them, in order to continually improve the maturity of the user research organization
- Experience leading and inspiring a team of user researchers, both directly and by influence
- Ability to provide oversight and mentorship to user researchers and designers to improve their quality of work and outcomes for the team.
- Accountability: holds self and others accountable to meet commitments
- Process/Project Management: skilled at figuring out and managing the processes and timelines necessary to get work accomplished
- Resilience, Tolerance for Change/Ambiguity: can effectively cope with change, finding ways to advance work and projects
- Commitment to Results: consistently achieves results, demonstrating high performance, and challenging self and others to deliver results
- Builds inclusive, cohesive teams which apply diversity to achieve common goals
- Capably delivers results through others, is good at establishing clear direction, helping others achieve their best work
- Identifies key issues and relationships relevant to achieving a long-range goal or vision; Builds an integrated plan for course of action to accomplish this vision
- Challenges and supports others to create results but also develop new capabilities
- Successfully develops the capacity and capability of team and individuals on the team
Share our values:
- Tenacious. You are determined to succeed, and you are motivated by the success of customers, colleagues and the community.
- Curious. You are always learning and seeking ways to make things better.
- Conscientious. You keep your promises, taking your commitments to others seriously, and you have strong integrity.
- Humble. You lead with humility and empathy, respecting and learning from the perspectives of others.
We champion the power of human connection. We're united globally by our shared values of innovation, grit, humility, and passion for customer success. Make an impact:
Working at the speed of social, we create value for our customers by delivering solutions that power relationships at scale. Our pace of work enables fast learning and fosters an environment where you can stretch yourself and make an impact. Learn and grow:
We're committed to growing the capabilities of our people. We are building a learning community where you can work with diverse individuals, explore new ways of thinking, and expand your capabilities. Our employees are teachers and learners who work out loud and share their knowledge to enhance each other's growth.
We are dedicated to building a diverse community, one where employees feel a sense of belonging, and are valued for their contributions and the perspectives they bring. Our purpose is to champion the power of human connection and the heart of connection is inclusion. You belong here.
Hootsuite is an inclusive employer. Every effort will be made to provide accommodations requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Management and Executive