The Managing Director, Mid-Market Mergers & Acquisitions will be responsible for leading this line of business within the Corporate Finance Division. This includes formulating and refining the group's business strategy, leading all major business development initiatives (both internal and external) and execution of all advisory mandates.
Accountabilities & Duties:
Relationship Management & Business Development (40%)
• Be highly visible in the marketplace to proactively, and with a long-term focus, develop an internal and external network of referral sources that effectively generates prospects for new mandates. This will include maintaining extensive business and industry knowledge.
• Develop and maintain relationships across BMOFG
• CFD Relationship Managers across Diversified Industries, ABL, Real Estate and Capital Partners • Develop and maintain relationships with external clients and prospects
• Capital Markets M&A and various coverage teams, as applicable
• Financial Sponsor coverage professionals in both Canada and US
• Harris U.S.A., and BMO Nesbitt Burns Canada
• Private equity funds • Explore potential alliances with external legal / advisory firms
• Founders / owner managers
• Make relevant referrals of potential clients for other services offered by the Corporate Finance group.
• Develop and maintain appropriate library of marketing materials
• Participate and contribute to ongoing development of Commercial Banking initiatives
Transaction Advisory & Execution (40%)
• Assume responsibility for executing and implementing the business plan
• Develop and present proposals and negotiate client engagements
• Apply resourceful business management and advisory skills, practices and techniques, to support the achievement of target level mandates which are high in complexity and of strategic importance to clients and/or organizations.
• Conduct/supervise due diligence, develop deal structures, coordinate parties, negotiate and execute transactions to closing
• Co-ordinate, where applicable, with CFD colleagues regarding the provision of lending options (Senior, subordinated, equity) during the M&A process
• Co-ordinate, where applicable, with PCG colleagues the provision of escrow and/or wealth management services following a business divestiture
• Lead execution and management of transactions
Group Strategy, Leadership and Operational Risk Management (20%)
• Assume responsibility for developing and executing the group business plan
• Develop and lead a national skilled, motivated and productive team; mentoring and coaching for all direct reports
• Maintain an accurate awareness of transactions that have occurred in the marketplace and trends that are developing in the investment banking industry, to ensure industry knowledge is current.
• Protect the bank's assets and maintain portfolio quality by adhering to bank policies & procedures, legal and ethical requirements and regulations, audit requirements, and established risk guidelines. Ensure all aspects of Corporate Finance business is in conformity with Bank Policies and prescribed guidelines
• Ensure that accurate comprehensive investigation, analysis and advice is presented in the documentation of acceptable Financial Advisory Services
• Manage risk and minimize losses by ensuring compliance requirements, audits, and verifications are completed in accordance with bank policies & procedures and all legal, regulatory and ethical requirements
• Maintain up-to-date knowledge and understanding of FAS, processes, and relevant legal, regulatory and technology requirements through audits and quality checks, to ensure advice is adequately documented, and clearly communicated.
• Adhere to Know Your Client Rules and Bank Policies & Procedures for the prevention of loss due to fraud, counterfeiting, money laundering, or defalcation; identify and report suspicious and other reportable transactions or patterns of activity that are suspected to be related to money laundering.
Designations & Knowledge:
• University undergraduate degree plus MBA or CA preferred
• Other designations (P. Eng., Legal, etc.) of interest if relevant experience has been gained
• 10-15 years related business experience with a least 5 years of M&A experience with a M&A advisory group within a large national or multinational investment bank / firm or in a Corporate Development function at a large business
• Exposure to a wide variety of industries and types of deals; in-depth exposure to two or three industries - ideally in one or more of the industrial, manufacturing, natural resources or technology sectors
• Proven success in mid-market deals and credible record in that marketplace
• Demonstrated record in business development
• Good knowledge of opportunities across Ontario; national contacts an asset
• Some operating experience would be an asset
• Networking and business development
• Communication - listening, writing, presenting
• Superior ability to judge risks (business and financial); ability to mitigate risks/project downside
• Corporate and financial strategy
• Financial analysis, structuring and transacting (including financial market knowledge)
• Business judgment/transaction sense and superior negotiation skills
• Project management skills
• Operates within normal office conditions with minimal exposure to health risks. We're here to help
• Travel is a requirement of the role.
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do - helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future-the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we're changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one - for yourself and our customers. We'll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we'll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com .
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other's differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Posted: February 19, 2019
Closes: April 20, 2019