Teck Resources Ltd. Environmental Engineering or Science Co-op Student Locations: Multiple Locations - Elk Valley, BC & Calgary, AB Duration:4 - 12 months Year of Study: 2nd to 4th Year Closing Date: February 24, 2019Why consider Teck Resources Ltd. for your Co-op Placement?
Teck Resources Ltd. hires more than 100 co-op students each year to work at our various Canadian operations. We offer a diverse range of experiences and relevant work to expand your learning. Teck also offers the chance to live and work in some of the world's most amazing locations where year-round local attractions and recreational choices are unlimited for the outdoor enthusiast! We have world-class mountain biking, skiing, hiking and fly fishing all at your doorstep. We offer a work life balance, with flexible work schedules.
Professional benefits of working as a co-op with Teck Resources Ltd.
- Competitive salary and assistance with travel costs and co-op fees
- A combination of field and office work - opportunity to gain valuable hands-on experience in a challenging and versatile work environment
- Previous co-ops at Teck Resources Ltd. are given first consideration for professional positions upon graduation
- Students work closely with a group of professional and senior level professionals on site
Successful candidates must be motivated self-starters, able to work under minimal supervision and be able to manage several projects simultaneously. The positions require working outdoors in all weather conditions and the ability to operate 4-wheel drive vehicles in mountainous terrain. You will also be required to have steel-toed boots (which must reach at least above the ankle) before commencing work. If you have prescription eye glasses or contacts, you are required to have prescription safety glasses or will need to request safety glasses that fit over your eye glasses prior to your start date.
The positions also require strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills. A strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel is necessary, and a working knowledge of PowerPoint, Access and AutoCAD would be advantageous. Repatriating environmental data from vendors, knowledge of data bases and file transfer protocols would be beneficial.
All students will be required to complete pre-employment drug testing prior to commencing work.
Teck Resources' co-op students obtain the knowledge and skills required to deal with any challenge that may arise at a large-scale mining operation. Our employees are versatile, flexible and well-equipped to handle each project with confidence. At Teck, we value diversity and our teams work collaboratively and respect each person's unique perspective and contribution. Responsibilities
Environmental co-op students hired by Teck Resources Ltd. are given the opportunity to practice their skills in all aspects of environmental design, monitoring and implementation. The major responsibilities of an Environmental Engineering or Science co-op student may include:
- Archiving files from a large environmental impact assessment
- Preparing power point presentations and other administrative duties
- Provide logistical support to complete regulatory filings
- Involvement in the health and safety programs of Teck Resources to ensure that everyone on site goes home safe and healthy every day
- Monitor, measure and report for environmental, reclamation and geotechnical compliance
- Develop and review new and existing standard practices to ensure the highest levels of environmental stewardship
- Manage all forms of data through our environmental data management systems (EMS)
- Assist with on-site research and development activities
- Carry out field work in rugged terrain and in potentially adverse weather conditions
- Produce technical reports suitable for submission to government agencies
- Represent Teck Resources Ltd. - Coal Division in primary communication and interaction with recreational land users and stakeholders in project vicinity
- Provide recreational access information and project development updates as requested
- Work in the Health, Safety & Environment group to provide technical services to the other departments on site and within Teck Resources Ltd. - Coal Division
- Responsible for communicating environmental performance
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck's approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2018, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for theninth straight year, indicating that Teck's sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world's 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources Job Segment:
Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, R&D Engineer, Engineer, Geology, Engineering, Science
Posted: February 17, 2019
Closes: April 18, 2019