Posting End Date: Number of Opening:
Lead by the New Machine Engineering Lead and located in Kamloops BC and Calgary AB, the New Equipment Engineering Designer is responsible to provide solutions to technical problems involving machines, applications and attachments to New Equipment Preparations teams, the Sales Department, Forestry group and Equipment Supply Chain. Responsible for development of a defined set of technical drawings and bills of materials according to project/task requirements and engineering discipline. May include mechanical, hydraulic or electrical drawings, providing engineering guidance, engineering research work, compliance to legal/WCB/work safe legislation and documentation of installation as required. Responsible to provide engineering support to Forestry sales team for work orders. This role would also assist Supply Chain, Sales and branch technical teams with quotations for custom hydraulic installations. Job Description: Major Job Functions:
- Design or evaluate hydraulic and electrical circuits required to install attachments and to adapt various hydraulic tools or systems to machines. Record work done in the shop to produce installation drawings and bill of materials. Ensure that designs are safe, efficient, effective and able to be cost effectively manufactured.
- Designing hydraulic circuits to power new attachments
- Redesigning factory circuits to power non Caterpillar forestry heads or attachments
- Determine if factory circuits will perform as customer requires in actual working conditions
- Provide the Sales team, New Equipment Prep Estimators and Equipment Supply Chain Department with custom quotations involving hydraulic circuits, guarding, tools and other solutions. Design assemblies, parts, or systems of a defined scope to meet customer specifications and technical requirements for forestry equipment. Communicate with sales team, vendors, service shop and other Finning personnel throughout the design process.
- Provide quote and bill of materials for sales team for custom design hydraulic circuits
- Provide drawings and bill of materials for NEP estimators or Supply Chain teams
- Provide solutions to technical problems associated with New Equipment Preparation or assist service departments with hard to fix machines with hydraulic issues. Interpret and prepare specifications, technical drawings, or instructions.
- Assisting branch technicians with customer owned machines that are down by providing engineering information or assistance to repair
- Determining if machine can perform as expected with customer requested attachment
- Communicate with Caterpillar and other suppliers to insure their products meet desired functional requirements and specification while supporting machine longevity and health. Recommend improvements to current design of products
- Communicate with Caterpillar Forestry teams issues found with new products.
- Communicating with suppliers on machine and attachment hydraulic flow/pressure rates required to safely operate attachments.
- Maintain NEP Knowledge Network web page to provide easy access to frequently requested information.
- Add new engineering drawings to page
- Update existing engineering drawings
- Add new machines to "Look Books"
- Customer Focus: Being successful means continuously paying attention to customer needs and adapting as these evolve. This heightens the importance of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer centric solutions.
- Cultivates Innovation: Paying attention to what customers want and need - new and improved products, services, solutions, and experiences. Taking initiative and collaborating with people who have diverse points of view. Embrace the mindset you and Finning are never done, never satisfied, never standing still.
- Drives Results: Infusing the team and organizations with a sense of urgency. Creating a culture where organizational performance is always top of mind. Communicating a vision, setting priorities, developing and executing plans that achieve the desired outcome for Finning.
- Courage: Being comfortable with the conflict that is inherent to being a champion of an idea or course of action. Meeting tough situations head-on to constructively resolve them. Saying what needs to be said at the right time, to the right person, in the right manner to effect change.
- Ability to create, interpret and read engineering documents- Interpret and prepare specifications, technical drawings, or instructions. Able to interpret hydraulic and electrical schematics.
- Proficient in use of Autocad, engineering software, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Above average skills in math, excellent verbal communication and written communication
- Reliable individual, capable of working in an engineering team environment. Able to collaborate with other departments to ensure project success
- Self-motivated - works efficiently with limited supervision
- Flexibility to adjust to shifting priorities and deadlines
- Multi-tasking and finding engineering solutions very quickly
- 3+ years of related engineering design experience of attachments and guarding for forestry or heavy construction and mining equipment.
- Strong knowledge of forestry machine mechanics, hydraulics and electronic components
- Operation and application of complex hydraulic systems
- Caterpillar Information Systems experience would be an asset
- Knowledge of Workers Compensation, Work Safe and the Mining Act rules as they relate to falling object protection, emergency exits, working at heights, secondary steering and other applicable rules would be considered an asset.
We are committed to diversity at Finning, to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Finning does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.