About the Town of High River
- A wonderful opportunity to grow your career in a beautiful small town, only 30 mins away from Calgary!
- Receive an attractive annual salary starting at $62,000 based on skills and experience, plus a host of great benefits
- Join a supportive team environment and enjoy a 35 hour work week
High River is a vibrant, people-first community and the back door to the Kananaskis. Come experience our exciting events, everyday small-town charm, beautiful scenery and authentic, western hospitality. It's what keeps people coming back (or staying!). Steeped in western heritage and forward-looking with just the right balance to make sure the things that make this town special are protected - from the beautiful storefronts to the natural green spaces and especially the vibrant, warm community feeling. Through the dedication and passion of our 150 employees, we deliver important services to the community. Our purpose, or why we do what we do, is because we want to make a difference in our community now and for generations to come (our ‘why’). To achieve this, we inspire and respect one another, we can be counted on, we are better together, and we dare to be different (our ‘how’).
We’ve embarked on a workplace culture journey that has enhanced our commitment to people; both our employees and the community we serve. We have identified three pillars to achieve our workplace culture: Accountable, Excellence and Connected (ACE).
For more information, please visit our website highriver.ca
About the Opportunity
We are looking for a full-time Planning and Development Technician to join our organization in High River, AB (hybrid model).
Reporting to the Manager of Planning and Development Services, you will be responsible for providing technical support to the administration of the Planning division. You will also be responsible for issuing planning compliance certificates and minor development permits in accordance with the Town’s Land Use Bylaw and other related statutory regulations.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Acting as the first point of contact for public inquiries and applications related to all planning and development matters (Municipal Government Act, Subdivision and Development Regulations, the Town Plan, Land Use Bylaw, Inter-Municipal Development Plan, and other statutory and non-statutory plans)
- Providing accurate information to internal departments, contractors, landowners and the public related to Planning requirements and processes
- Receiving, documenting and processing minor development permit applications (signs, accessory buildings, accessory suites, home-based businesses, and various minor variance applications related to associated compliance applications)
- Conducting Land Titles research and other activities to assist in the subdivision, compliance, and development application process
- Producing illustrations such as maps, tables, charts, and photographs, using drafting/graphic/photographic software to support and enhance reports and staff presentations for Town Council and the public
- Performing planning tasks such as site inventories, location analysis, research and report writing for various types of planning studies and development applications
- Preparing agendas, meeting minutes and reports for meetings, as well as, assisting and organizing planning workshops and public engagement sessions as required
- Providing backup coverages for planning staff on various planning applications
- Assisting in the preparation, review, maintenance and implementation of the Town Plan and associated land use bylaw
- Responding to customers' inquiries, requests, and complaints regarding various bylaws, in person, by email or over the telephone
- Performing research and preparing reports and may present to Town Council as required
- Assisting property owners, developers, builders, and businesses to determine which applications they need and help them navigate through the permit process
- Other related duties as assigned
To qualify, you will need a post-secondary certificate in applied Land Use Planning, or a related field and 3 years of related experience in Planning and Development, Safety Codes, or, a post-secondary education (diploma or degree) in Planning, Architecture, Civil Engineering Technology, or a related field and 1 to 2 years related experience in Planning and Development, Safety Codes, or a closely related customer service environment. A Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License is also required.
The following will be critical to successfully performing this role:
- Basic knowledge of local government and of applicable legislation and regulatory requirements in Alberta
- Proficiency in the use of computer programs including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Professional, Adobe Suite (photoshop) and more
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a deadline-orientated environment
- Excellent time management and organizational skills and the ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and confidentiality
- Eligibility to obtain a membership with Alberta Professional Planners Institute (APPI)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to build positive relationships/ partnerships with team members and both internal and external customers
- Exceptional customer service skills which demonstrate tact and courtesy when dealing with the public as well as, maintaining constructive relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Must be able to travel to offsite locations in a timely and expedient manner for conducting site visits as required
- Knowledge of planning theory, provincial legislation, urban issues and requirements is considered an asset
- Experience with GIS is considered an asset
All employees must be willing and able to pass a Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector.
About the Benefits
In the Town of High River, people come first. We continue to offer a positive, welcoming and healthy work environment where each employee’s contributions make a difference and work/life balance is highly valued and respected.
As a valued member of our team, you can look forward to an attractive annual salary starting at $62,000 based on skills and experience, as well as a range of attractive benefits, including:
- A 35 hour work week
- 50% hybrid model
- Employer-paid medical, dental
- LAPP pension plan - contribution matching + 1%
- A great company culture
- Work-life balance
If you have the skills necessary to bring success to the role, then we invite you to apply today!