XPT Grain is a Canadian leader in sourcing, processing, and supplying pulses, oil seed and specialty crops. Founded in 2014, XPT's extensive network in Western Canada creating sustainable opportunities for hundreds of farmers. The company is headquartered in Regina Sk and has 12 employees who stand behind their commodities.
The Plant Manager in our facility in South Alberta will provide leadership support in all aspects of production in a pulse/processing and/or loading facility. As a member of the Plant Leadership Team, the Plant Manager will be an active leader, responsible for demonstrating a commitment to safety, continuous improvement, employee engagement and maintaining a cost-effective operation and equipment’s.
Responsibilities will include the day-to-day oversight of plant safety, ensuring compliance with the Process Safety Management program, CGC, HACCP program, Organic program, Seed Institute, CFIA, plant costs and budgets, monitoring and ongoing improvement of plant productivity, risk management, supervision of employees, interaction with various corporate entities and other functions related to general operations of XPT’s processing and loading facility.
The Plant Manager will report to Vice President
The successful candidate will understand and demonstrate a commitment to safety first.
The Plant Manager is a key role to build the foundational skills required to be successful.
Qualified candidates should be willing to relocation for future growth opportunities within the XPT Team.
- Maintain a clean and safe plant and maintain all processing equipment’s. Provide an injury-free work environment for employees, staff, contractors, visitors through engagement, training programs, good work practices, XPT standards, and proactive elimination of exposures. Continually improve safety record by addressing both physical safety issues and employee safety attitudes. Maintain and improve housekeeping in all areas.
- Plan, organize and direct the maintenance operations which ensure the most effective return on assets.
- Manages the day-to-day processing activities, maximizing positions, volumes expenses, and net profit
- Develops and manages purchasing, logistic and sales relationships for all commodities and products in an assigned segment, line of business, and/or region.
- Manages vendors and staff associated with processing business.
- Communicates with merchandising and sales teams regarding market conditions and trading opportunities in assigned areas.
- Responsible for all business activity including but not limited to; adhering to processing policies, managing plant and equipment’s risk, problem resolution
- Managing logistics crucial to the essential needs of the business
- Initiate plans and processes which minimize processing costs through effective utilization of manpower, equipment, facilities, materials, and capital. Assure attainment of business objectives and logistic schedules while ensuring product standards that will exceed our customers’ expectations. Reduce costs and improve efficiencies in all areas of plant operations.
- Implement logistic and processing strategies and action plans to ensure that the facility supports XPT’s strategic initiatives.
- Establish group and individual accountabilities throughout all plant departments for safety leadership, problem solving and cost reduction.
- Encourage use of new techniques and focus on fact-based problem solving.
- Improve manpower utilization within existing departments and processes.
- Manage spending against budget and in relation to changes in production volume.
- Assure that purchasing and logistic agreements are effectively administered and that employee grievances are addressed in a timely fashion.
- Maintain individual skills keeping up to date with latest production and processing management concepts.
- Operate the site at the highest levels of efficiency by managing equipment reliability and overall equipment effectiveness and managing site spending and expenses to minimum levels required to meet site strategy.
- Ensure the proper logistic and processing planning, design and implementation of capital and expense projects consistent with site strategy.
- Ensure that the product being processed meets XPT’s and our customers’ standards, policies and practices through the proper implementation and maintenance of all aspects of quality systems such as GMP
- Establish and maintain a positive relationship with local farmers.
- Ensure proper maintenance of site equipment and infrastructure.
- Properly utilize resources. Foster a well-trained and motivated staff. Responsible for establishing all shift production schedules. Select maintain and train plant supervisory and administrative staff. Conduct employee performance reviews. Schedule and conduct plant meetings.
- Participates in annual business planning and budgeting of the plant.
- Consult regularly with Leadership Team to ensure that processing objectives and logistic goals are being met.
- Engage and motivate the workforce through an active presence on the processing floor.
- Additional projects and duties as assigned
- Degree in Engineering, Agricultural or technical field; MBA is a plus
- Knowledge of Seed Industry of Canada, CFIA, and CGC regulations
- Knowledge of processing equipment’s is a must
- A minimum 5 years’ experience with 3 years of management and supervisory experience in plant operations including 3 years in the pulse processing industry or closely related field required
- Demonstrated leadership skills, independent thinking, strong organizational and planning abilities and excellent analytical and problem-solving skills are essential
- Proven ability to engage and motivate hourly and salary teams
- Strong organizational skills required to constantly keep in touch with various departments of the organization
- Ability to work closely with all business functions
- Excellent communication skills interacting with all levels of staff, including hourly workforce
- Proficiency in MS Office required and the ability to demonstrate a strong financial/business acumen is required to be successful in this role as much of the position entails meeting the budget and productivity requirements of the plant.
- Ability to work self-directed (day to day) with a high level of initiative, priority setting
- Facility is a 12/6 operation; selected candidate must be able to work on average 50 hours per week and be available during business critical situations
- Willingness and ability to relocate for future growth opportunities is required
Leadership: Demonstrates the ability to motivate, energize, align and promote change in others related to a common purpose and objectives.
- Visioning and Alignment: Engages others by communicating a picture of future possibilities and shared purpose to work collectively toward common objectives
- Strategic Thinking: Analyzes and applies a broad organizational and business perspective to identify and maintain focus on key drivers of organizational performance.
- Talent Management: Maximizes team member capabilities by identifying talent, providing ongoing coaching/mentoring and feedback, supporting opportunities for growth and development.
- Logistics and Processing Management: Builds trusting, productive relationships with internal/external logistic companies, farmers, team members, colleagues, and stakeholders through transparent, genuine, influential communications.
- Business Management: Demonstrates the ability to plan, organize, improve and execute shipments related to export business operations.
- Organizational Perspective: Adopts a systemic perspective, defining and leveraging the ideas, resources and unique perspectives of XPT’s diverse local and global groups.
- Change and Innovation: Actively supports exploration of new ideas, calculated risk-taking and choices/initiatives that can make a significant impact.
- Performance and Results Orientation: Maintains focus on key performance drivers, continuously improves processes, and consistently delivers results.
Thank you for your interest. Please note that only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
With this in mind, If you have the dedication, determination and desire to succeed as a Plant Manager in South Alberta please apply in confidence by submitting a detailed cover letter and resume to: email@example.com
Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing