Provide uniform application of established training programs and practices and to provide assistance to LSM/LSOs. In conjunction with Branch Managers, provides indirect supervision of safety and training staff. Assists the Branch Manager in programs or analysis that will reduce vehicular collisions and WC claims, provides a proactive management approach to safety awareness and initiatives. Monitors safety compliance of all government legislation and company safety. The ideal candidate will be based out of either Calgary or Edmonton, AB. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
MINIMUM EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
- Assists Managers and LSM/LSOs in recruiting drivers and conducting training of new drivers for school bus license. Assists Branch Manager in accident investigation, analysis and determination of cause, WC claims, investigation, analysis and claims including modified duties program. Provides such reports and other documentation as may be required, including employee files. Compiles such regional statistical data of vehicular and WC accidents and claims
- Monitors Branch maintenance of records regarding completed training, licenses, drivers abstracts, criminal searches, Defensive Driving Courses, retraining, over age 65 training, attendance at safety workshops, and all other safety compliance items
- Conducts regular performance goal setting and review of LSM/LSOs. Assists with route reviews and driver safety issues, identifying driver training needs, and investigates programs or training sources for subjects identified
- Coordinates with Branch Manager with regard to Driver Safety Awards and other driving competitions. Ensures records on safety and safety related matters are up to date and accurate through annual internal safety audits. Responds in writing to branch collision appeals
- Knowledgeable in and enforces Occupational Health & Safety regulations, Company policies relating to safety and safe driving requirements. Assists in conducting premise inspections. Monitors all branch minutes from Health & Safety meetings ensuring accuracy and follow up on items identified. Establishes expertise in Occupational Health & Safety Code requirements, Company Safety Policies and Procedures, provincial traffic laws, Hours of Service and other relevant legislation i.e. drug and alcohol testing, and provides guidance and support to LSM/ LSO's
- Conducts safety inspections and makes recommendations for both ongoing safety efforts and efforts to increase safety awareness and profile. Administers safety and company programs such as modified duties, alcohol and drug testing, driver orientation programs, student discipline training and maintains up to date awareness of legislative and other changes that affect the Company with respect to driver safety and training issues
- Takes a proactive approach to upgrade function with value back to the company. Advises Manager(s) of area or local community trends that would affect the retention or recruitment of employees
- May accompany Location Management in establishing customer contact and relationships. Liaise with school and school officials regarding safety issues
- Maintain good driving record and valid class of driver's license
- Communication of and Adherence to Injury Prevention (IP) Standards, Near Miss Reporting and BeSafe
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- High School Diploma or equivalent. College or University preferred. Courses related to Supervisory/Management, Training, course development and presentations, First Aid, Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation. Appropriate and valid drivers licence for a minimum of 3 years
- Signing authority designation required to evaluate and train branch LSM/LSOs and Driver Trainers
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Minimum 5-8 years experience in a safety and training capacity preferred.
- Well versed in the First Canada Driver Selection Process and Provincial Requirements.
- Demonstrates experience in handling competing priorities, deadlines and applying sound interpersonal skills and excellent communication, complaint handling and problem resolution.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and precisely.
- Demonstrated leadership ability and decision making within known guidelines.
- Demonstrated experience with relevant safety and WC legislation and requirements
This position is 80% in the field and 20% office environment
First Student is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from women, persons with a disability, Aboriginal peoples and members of a visible minority.
Management and Executive