Requisition ID: 54916
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off. Job Purpose:
Contributes to the overall success of the Centralized Compliance Department, Scotia Securities Inc. in Canada ensuring specific individual goals, plans, initiatives are executed / delivered in support of the team's business strategies and objectives. Ensures all activities conducted are in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures. Key Accountabilities:
- Champions a customer focused culture to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Conduct daily reviews as per SSI Branch Compliance Officer (BCO) policies to monitor compliance with KYC suitability and other rules respecting sales practices by reviewing applications and order forms for suitability and completeness, and reviewing other supporting documentation, identification and reviewing trades processed for conformity with customer investment objectives.
- Monitor customer mutual fund trade activities utilizing exceptions reports, with a focus on unusual/irregular activity and additional reviews such as excessive activity and other reports as required.
- Follow-up on issues and ensure deficiencies are communicated effectively to the Registered Representatives/BCOs.
- Assist in the control, evaluation, and response to:
- Any serious irregular activity, such as fraud, kiting, money laundering or serious incidence of non-compliance.
- Negative trends and any known or perceived weaknesses in policies, practices, procedures, systems, or training which could lead to non-compliance.
- Recommend and monitor action plans to correct:
- Incidents of non-compliance (and prevent their reoccurrence)
- Weaknesses in policies, practices, procedures, systems and/or training.
- Understand how the Bank's risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Actively pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
- Champions a high performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
- The incumbent is expected to have a sound knowledge of operation conditions throughout the sales network and to escalate issues promptly that are deemed to be serious.
- The incumbent is expected to be able to resolve issues and problems, but also to recognize the need to escalate to superiors where prudent.
- The incumbent is expected to have the ability to deal with time sensitive requests, competing priorities and fluctuating call, email volumes. Workloads are subject to time pressures due to trading environment sensitivities and changes in priorities.
- The incumbent is expected to maintain the confidentiality of information within an open concept office environment.
- Must be licensed to sell mutual funds in Canada
- Must have an Undergraduate University Degree (preferably in business or accounting) &/or related work experience
- Must satisfy all Compliance expectations for the role, including completion of the Branch Compliance Officer (BCO) course
- Thorough knowledge of Branch Compliance Officer responsibilities, processes and guidelines
- Knowledge of SSI and Bank policies, procedures and manuals for the sale and distribution of mutual funds through the Bank's branches
- The ability to evaluate risk, to identify control weaknesses, to recommend actions, to follow-up and to report on non-compliance effectively.
- Initiative, and the ability to work efficiently and effectively in a fast-paced, team environment
- Effective communication skills both verbal and written are required.
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft applications (including Word, Excel, and Power Point) and familiarity with the Internet.
- Work in a standard office-based environment; non-standard hours are a common occurrence. The position is non-physical with the incumbent in an office environment. Knowledge and stress levels are medium. Systems, procedures and policies are in constant development due to Bank and regulatory changes. Overtime will be required.
Location(s): Canada : Alberta : Calgary
As Canada's International Bank, we are a leader when it comes to inclusion. We are a diverse and global team, speaking more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. We value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted directly. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to provide as seamless a recruitment experience as possible. Job Segment:
Bank, Banking, Compliance, Risk Management, Law, Finance, Legal