Company: Finning Canada
Posting End Date: Aug 12, 2019Number of Openings:
Worker Type: Permanent
Position Overview: Reporting to the VP Risk Management, the Risk Assurance and Advisory Services Leader is a strategic role that is responsible for the internal audit, enterprise risk management and regulatory requirements for internal control over financial reporting (ICFR) for the $3.5 billion in revenue Finning Canada operation.
With the team based in Edmonton, the exceptional leader will ideally be based in that city, however consideration will be given to the leader residing in Calgary or Vancouver with the expectation of frequent travel to the Edmonton head office.
In this results-driven role, the Finning Canada RAAS leader has critical responsibility in monitoring the risk management framework for Finning Canada. The work involves setting the day to day vision and direction for the Finning Canada team which aligns with the global RAAS mission and standards. The successful candidate for this position will have demonstrated their senior leadership capabilities in leading an internal audit function, a deep understanding of internal audit best practices and a working understanding of enterprise risk management practices. Although your internal audit background will be of primary consideration your experience in information technology auditing will also be highly valued.
Job Description: Major Job Functions:Internal Audit and Enterprise Risk Management Responsibilities:
Certification of Internal Control over Financial Reporting (ICFR) Responsibilities (NI 52-109):
- Directs and manages financial, operational, information technology and value added audits according to the Finning Canada internal audit plan. Plans and schedules audits, including staffing and coordination with key business process owners and senior management.
- At the direction of the VP Risk Management, set's direction and manages a global team or external service provider in globally related assurance and advisory projects.
- Acts as a key leader in the execution of a systematic, disciplined approach to evaluate and improve business risk. Will be integral in continuing the transformation of the function to a value added, proactive, risk based function.
- Partners with all levels of the organization, especially executive management, by prioritizing the major risk factors in the business and identifying opportunities to improve them.
- Monitors audit engagements and reviews audit planning to ensure adequate coverage and adherence to auditing standards and practices as defined by the Institute of Internal Auditors.
- Facilitates and manages the enterprise risk management program for Finning Canada. Raises the awareness and the importance of risk management with executive management to ensure a full understanding of the risks associated with the business plan including facilitating and reaching consensus on the impact, likelihood and mitigation of those risks.
- Manages and mentors audit staff in the performance of all RAAS projects.
- Communicates and provides training in risk management and internal audit best practices where necessary.
- Conducts or oversees investigations of alleged misconduct, loss of assets or other irregularities and reports findings to senior management where necessary.
- Coordinates and oversees the preparation of quarterly Audit Committee reporting for the Canadian operation and prepares and oversees the quarterly information to be included in the Audit Committee report.
- Provides thought leadership in proposing new or changes to existing policies, procedures and programs for the business.
- Combines strong technical competence with a high degree of collaboration, people and change management skills.
- Coordinates with the global head office the scoping, risk assessment, and controls, and benchmark results to enhance efficiencies and standardization.
- Develops and maintains an ICFR sustainability model.
- Coordinates walk-throughs and independent testing to monitor management's assessment of design and effectiveness of internal controls over financial reporting.
- Evaluates deficiencies of internal controls and processes on an on-going basis and works with management to address internal control issues and recommendations for improvement.
- Manages the RAAS team to ensure completion of NI 52-109 testing in adherence with legislation, and provides leadership and guidance to regional Compliance teams.
- Provides guidance on regulatory requirements with respect to NI 52-109 compliance.
- Provide guidance to Business Process Owners ("BPO") on compliance protocols, and assist with change process, and self-assessment testing.
- Maintains quarterly control mechanism whereby process owners notify the RAAS Manager of changes to process and controls (BPO Quarterly Sign-Off).
Education & Experience:
- Skill in collecting and analyzing complex data, evaluating information and systems, and drawing logical conclusions.
- Demonstrates advanced critical thinking skills.
- Extensive skill in planning and project management, and in maintaining composure under pressure while meeting multiple deadlines.
- Extensive communication skills at all levels of an organization. Facilitation experiences an asset.
- Considerable skill in effective verbal and written communications, including active listening skills and skill in presenting findings and recommendations and collaboration.
- Considerable skill in negotiating issues and resolving problems.
- Skill in using a computer with word processing, spreadsheet, and other business software to prepare reports, memos, summaries, and analyses.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Certification as a CIA,CISA,CPA
- Minimum of 10 to 15 years of full-time senior level experience in internal auditing, risk management or business analysis, including a minimum of three years at a management level
- Extensive knowledge of and skill in applying internal auditing, management principles and preferred business practices
- Expert knowledge of the Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and the Code of Ethics developed by The Institute of Internal Auditors
- Knowledge of information systems terminology, concepts, and practices. IT audit experience an asset along with data analytics
- Considerable knowledge of operation program policies, procedures, regulations, and laws
- Experience with ACL
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements of a Canadian public company, specifically legislation of Bill 198 and Sarbanes-Oxley
W e are committed to diversity at Finning, to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Finning does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.