We're looking for a Senior Software Developer, DevOps
who can help us support the development organization to deliver value to customers in a reliable, efficient, and safe manner. You'll do this by solving problems and creating infrastructure, software, and processes. You'll be working in a focused team that owns one or more pieces of the production application environment and the developer experience. This role reports to the Director, Production Operations and Delivery and is based in Hootsuite's Vancouver office (post COVID19) or remotely across Canada or the US (in accordance with Hootsuite's local employment entities). The successful candidate may need to be able to travel from time to time to Hootsuite's Vancouver office. WHAT YOU'LL DO:
WHAT YOU'LL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR:
- Lead by owning project milestones, epics or features
- Practice continuous improvement, contributing to culture, process and direction in your team and across our department
- Write software - tools, libraries, automation, services, and glue
- Build and maintain infrastructure with infrastructure-as-code
- Practice continuous delivery
- Manage the reliability, security and integrity of our large, cloud-based Linux infrastructure
- Participate in a flexible on-call rotation
- Develop processes and automation to eliminate repetitive tasks
- Collaborate with others across the organization to solve problems and build better processes, systems and software
- Communicate by mentoring, writing documentation, participating in meetings, and showing off your work at demos
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- Design and build of our Kubernetes-based compute platform
- Identify and implement new platform features
- Research and evaluate new technologies
- Refactor, rewrite or retire existing platform features
- Operate our developer experience and production environments
- Diagnose and repair our distributed systems
- Perform maintenance, upgrades and migrations
- Control or eliminate repetitive tasks, alert noise and business-as-usual work
- Enable development teams
- Provide executable interfaces to our build, test and deploy platform
- Provide tools and best practices to support the entire software development lifecycle
- Provide advice, guidance and tooling on architecting microservices for production
WHO YOU ARE:
- A degree in Computer Science or Engineering or equivalent experience and senior level experience working in an SRE, DevOps or software engineering role
- An ability to write software and working knowledge of software engineering practice ( we use Go, you might have experience with other languages)
- Experience using containerization technologies (We use Kubernetes, you might use ECS, Nomad, Mesos, Docker Compose or similar)
- Experience using infrastructure-as-code tools to build and run cloud infrastructure (we use Terraform, Ansible, Docker and Kubernetes, you might have experience with Puppet, Chef, Salt, Mesos, ECS or similar)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Preferred. Experience administering artifact repositories (we use Artifactory, but you might have had experience with Nexus or similar) and an enterprise SCM (we use GitHub Enterprise, you might have experience with GitLab or Bitbucket Server)
- Preferred. Working knowledge of Linux systems, including troubleshooting system level issues, shell scripting, networking (L3-L7) and basic monitoring
- Preferred. Experience with operating, building and maintaining cloud infrastructure
- Preferred. An understanding of SaaS software development practice; Ideally you have experience working on a SaaS product
Share our values:
- Tenacious. You are determined to succeed, and you are motivated by the success of customers, colleagues, and the community.
- Curious. You are always learning and seeking ways to make things better.
- Priority Setter: You focus time/energy on the most important issues/opportunities. You clearly understand how to assess the importance of tasks and decisions
- Accountable: You hold yourself and others accountable to meeting commitments
- Problem Solver: You use an organized and logical approach to find solutions to complex problems. You look beyond the obvious to understand the contributing factors.
We champion the power of human connection. We're united globally by our shared values of innovation, grit, humility, and passion for customer success. Make an impact:
Working at the speed of social, we create value for our customers by delivering solutions that power relationships at scale. Our pace of work enables fast learning and fosters an environment where you can stretch yourself and make an impact. Learn and grow:
We're committed to growing the capabilities of our people. We are building a learning community where you can work with diverse individuals, explore new ways of thinking, and expand your capabilities. Our employees are teachers and learners who work out loud and share their knowledge to enhance each other's growth.
We are dedicated to building a diverse community, one where employees feel a sense of belonging, and are valued for their contributions and the perspectives they bring. Our purpose is to champion the power of human connection and the heart of connection is inclusion. You belong here.
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Manufacturing and Production Operations and Logistics