Are you passionate about highly scalable and distributed systems? Are you excited about improving the quality and scope of automation at scale? Would you enjoy working on scalable, reliable platforms responsible for managing one of the largest fleets of databases in the world? Then come build with us!!!
The AWS Relational Database Service is one of the fastest-growing AWS businesses, providing super-simple provisioning and management for databases in the cloud. Customers can set up a new database with just a few clicks, and complex administrative tasks like scaling, backups, disaster recovery, and monitoring are all reliably handled by our control systems. Providing such simplified management for customers comes with the challenge of building sophisticated and reliable control systems. Our group in AWS addresses these challenges by developing services that reflect the latest advances in high availability, data dissemination and replication, load balancing, autonomous management, and repair.
In this position, you will be part of the RDS Backups and Export team. RDS backups is one of the core features of RDS. The team is responsible for disaster-recovery and compliance features for RDS databases. The team was recently part of the effort to launch RDS Cross-Region Point-in-Time-Restore and Cross-Region Snapshot Copy for AWS opt-in regions. The team is also responsible for building the distributed service for RDS Snapshot Export that allows customers to build data analytics solution directly from their RDS database. As the RDS service grows the team is required to continuously find new ways to innovate on behalf of our customers.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position does involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Bachelors in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent work experience
- Experience delivering and operating large scale, highly available distributed systems
- Experience with database systems internals, query optimization, and storage systems
- Experience with large-scale data analytics and data warehousing
- Write very high quality code that is robust and easy to maintain
- Excellent knowledge of data structures, algorithms, OS and distributed systems
- Understanding of system performance and scaling
- Ability to drive tasks to completion and take ownership of projects
- Ability to work in a fast paced and agile development environment
- Possess excellent communication, sharp analytical abilities, and proven design skills
- Linux / UNIX system administration and shell scripting
Amazon is committed to providing accommodations at all stages through recruitment and employment in accordance with applicable human rights and accommodation legislation. If contacted for an employment opportunity, advise Human Resources if you require accommodation, including in order to apply for a position.
Software and Programming