Join us in building the next generation of distributed systems and database technologies to power AWS and Amazon.com!
Amazon Web Services (AWS) provides highly scalable and robust services to its customers. As AWS continues to grow to serve more customers, and to support more products, the foundational technologies of AWS also need to evolve and support new use cases and larger scale than ever before. The AWS Transactional Services team in Vancouver is building distributed systems and database technologies that offer innovative solutions to this growth. The team is offering a set of services, APIs and libraries to other Amazon teams. Our customers are a wide range of internal teams, from AWS to Alexa, each of them looking for technology solutions that help them to achieve their goals.
As a Software Development Manager, you will be joining the team that builds these solutions. Our systems are scalable, fast, low-latency, and offer elegant solutions to our customers' complex problems. We pride ourselves on a high level of automation. You will be leading a team of software developers that owns several of these services, and contribute to our customer experience.
Your responsibilities include:
- Own the delivery of software development projects end-to-end.
- Define your team's roadmap and manage the ongoing projects, keeping customers informed, update senior management, and represent the team to their dependencies.
- Work with the engineers in your team to invent, design, and develop highly available and scalable distributed systems and database technologies.
- Work with your team, your peers, senior management, and senior engineers to implement best practices in software development and operational processes.
- Engage with customers directly, and via e.g. forum posts, blog posts, and meet-ups.
- Develop and grow the members of your team, as well as mentoring others.
- Keep up to date with new technologies used in the field and by our customers, to stay current in our rapidly changing environment.
Inclusive Team Culture
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon's culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Our team puts a high value on work-live balance. It isn't about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it's about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. We offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal lives.
This position involves on-call responsibilities, typically for one week every two months. We don't like getting paged in the middle of the night or on the weekend, so we work to ensure that our systems are fault tolerant. When we do get paged, we work together to resolve the root cause so that we don't get paged for the same issue twice.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we're building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior members enjoy one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews. We care about your career growth and strive to assign projects based on what will help each team member develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on more complex tasks in the future.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering teams
- Experience partnering with product OR program management teams
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Strong people management skills.
- Strong technical skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent with 2+ years experience managing software development teams.
- Experience with designing and building large scale systems
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, asynchronous architectures and distributed algorithms
- Strong track record of defining and executing on complex projects
- Strong track record of hiring great engineers
- Experience leading teams using multiple languages
- Excellent problem solving skills; ability to simplify and innovate
- Excellent leadership, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate, be both highly motivated and motivating
- Proven results oriented person with a bias for action
- Masters or Ph.D. in Computer Science with emphasis on distributed systems or databases is a plus.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, or other legally protected status. If you would like to request an accommodation, please notify your Recruiter.
Software and Programming